Free range...HAPPY!

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Today, even though it was only 37*, I donned my heaviest coat, gloves, extra socks, and sat outside--for 3hrs, so my sweet girls could free range.. It's been a long while since they got to be out for more than 1hr at a time. They all seemed so happy.. They didn't even seem to noticed the chilly temps.. I love watching them scratch and dig thru the leaves.. I had thrown a few handfuls of bird seed out there..and they wee almost purring !!!!

So, we will see if this makes them decide to actually get busy and LAY some more eggs.. I am only getting 3 from 11 girls...
fl.gif

let mine out too for a while this weekend. First time it was dry/warm/sunny enough in ages! They had a blast, scratching, following me around the yard, dust bathing in a dry spot under the shed...even ganged up and chased my dog. He was just hiney sniffing but I don't think chickens appreciate that.

Well, my girls appreciated me sitting out there--keep watch over them--freezing my rear OFF---SOOOOOO much that today instead of 2 or 3 eggs , I got 0--zero, zilt, nothing, NOT ONE egg!! LOL... And what do I do, I stop and get them two huge bundles of greens ..

When I first started free ranging, I would find things to do in the yard/coop to keep warm and not freaking out over the horrible cold.
I had no eggs until I started free ranging, guess we have the opposite problem, lol.

The chickies love it when I let them out to free range. Today was very rainy but I let them choose if they wanted to play or not and they chose to play. When the rain would set in they would run back to their pen for cover. As soon as it stopped they were back out foraging for the tastiest morsels they could find.

Normally I would hang out with them when I let them loose but I did not want to get sick in the rain so I monitored them from windows.

The henleys get to be free range for most of the day. The only time they will stay inside voluntarily is if there is a foot of snow. Today it rained, and they just stayed right out in it fluffing and shaking the water off. There is something EXTREMELY satisfying and rewarding to step off my front porch and have the flock come a-waddling from whereever they are to see if it's snack time. Even better is the evening ritual where I grab a handful of scratch and run (okay, I kind of waddle too) to the coop and they run in a line behind me. I love love love those hens!!

Back
Top Bottom