Free Range in Snowy Weather: What do you do?

1f604.png
1f44d-1f3fc.png
funny post! Let us know if they figure out that doggy door

Some scratch might do it...
lau.gif

I shovel a square around the perimeter of the coop. They are happy to be able to still eat the grass I exposed for them. I'm also new to chickens and my 9 girls just started laying last week. Today was a record 7 eggs! I find they don't care for walking in the snow if they can help it. However my problem child SLW always ventures where she shouldn't be. Her and the GLW always off on their own. The EE tags along too.

Anyway today the SLW flew about 20' out of the area I made for them. She sat there wondering what to do for 10 minutes while the other girls stretched their necks looking at her like what's she doing!? LOL she eventually came to her senses and flew back. Hey are entertaining for sure.

I haven't done much different in my care for them due to winter. Other than the freeze-proof waterer. I keep the windows all wide open unless it's really windy. If so I'll close 1 vent window.

I, personally, make this call not by if there is snow on the ground but rather what the temperatures are like. If there is snow out but it's a nice day, I''ll open the door for my girls and let them make their own decsions as to whether or not to go out. But, if it's bitter cold out, I just leave them in the warm coop.

I also shovel a pathway abd or some treats at the end by they usually just look at me sideways. Mine don't like to wander out unless the head hen goes first. .

My love to come out in the snow and scratch for some of the food we scattered. I love to watch my chickens and ducks,in all seasons. I just worry more about my chickens when it snows because there isnt any camoflauge for them.

I built a cattle panel hoop house behind the coop for them to use. They still mostly hang out under the coop unless it's a sunny day. I shovel all around the coop and put out old straw to walk on. Feed, water and treats are in the hoop house so they have to use it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom