Free Range or Not? What Does Everyone Prefer?

I think those of you in the USA like to be original
gig.gif

I don't know about that, do you know how many cities are named after cities in Europe and farther? And then there are all the east 'city', west 'city', north 'city' and south 'city'. And the number of cities that exist in many states? I think Fairview shows up in most of the 50, apparently sometimes more than once!

No originality at all!
smile.png

Bruce

I don't know about that, do you know how many cities are named after cities in Europe and farther? And then there are all the east 'city', west 'city', north 'city' and south 'city'. And the number of cities that exist in many states? I think Fairview shows up in most of the 50, apparently sometimes more than once!

No originality at all!
smile.png

Bruce
having lived in Europe for years I can say that Americans are as a generality both...
1. innovative
2. independent

maybe that is what she means?
-a

having lived in Europe for years I can say that Americans are as a generality both...
1. innovative
2. independent

maybe that is what she means?
-a
That's what I meant (#2)

I find that so much of the world uses English in the same way. The US tends to change the way words are spelled and pronounced. I have an option for English on settings in various pieces of technology. It's either English (American) or English (UK).

No offence meant at all! I have a client that I make credit card payments for. Their last name has a Z in it. When I call to North Carolina for example to make a payment and they ask for the spelling of the name, if I say Zed they ask me zed? What is zed? Every time. I never remember to say Zee. I need to note that on the file.. :lol:

No offence meant at all! I have a client that I make credit card payments for. Their last name has a Z in it. When I call to North Carolina for example to make a payment and they ask for the spelling of the name, if I say Zed they ask me zed? What is zed? Every time. I never remember to say Zee. I need to note that on the file..
lol.png

I was in France on business years ago and used Zed instead of Zee; they were amazed. I know how to say "naught", "bonnet", "boot", etc as well
smile.png

Most of us native English speaking American's are pretty mono lingual. I am no exception being sort of "1.1 lingual". I know a LITTLE French and a LITTLE Spanish. The problem is I have to think in English, then hunt deep in my brain for the non English word. When I was in France for a week then went to Spain, my "not English" switch was still set on French and I couldn't come up with the Spanish word for a good long time after I dug up the French word.

And no offense
big_smile.png
taken.

Bruce

I was in France on business years ago and used Zed instead of Zee; they were amazed. I know how to say "naught", "bonnet", "boot", etc as well :)

Most of us native English speaking American's are pretty mono lingual. I am no exception being sort of "1.1 lingual". I know a LITTLE French and a LITTLE Spanish. The problem is I have to think in English, then hunt deep in my brain for the non English word. When I was in France for a week then went to Spain, my "not English" switch was still set on French and I couldn't come up with the Spanish word for a good long time after I dug up the French word.

And no offense :D taken.

Bruce
It's nice to see that you know there are other ways to say things :) I got looked at like an idiot when I was in NYC and asked what kind of pops they had to go with my hot dog. :lol:

I got looked at like an idiot when I was in NYC and asked what kind of pops they had to go with my hot dog.
lol.png

That is a regional thing. In some parts of the USA "soda" is used, in others "pop", still others "soda pop". It isn't your fault they never left their neighborhood!
big_smile.png
They probably call their grandfather "Pops" and were trying to figure out why you wanted an old man to go with your "hot dog" "frankfurter" "wiener", etc, etc, etc

Bruce

That is a regional thing. In some parts of the USA "soda" is used, in others "pop", still others "soda pop". It isn't your fault they never left their neighborhood!
big_smile.png
They probably call their grandfather "Pops" and were trying to figure out why you wanted an old man to go with your "hot dog" "frankfurter" "wiener", etc, etc, etc

Bruce

And others just "coke" lol although I love cherry DP, lol

That is a regional thing. In some parts of the USA "soda" is used, in others "pop", still others "soda pop". It isn't your fault they never left their neighborhood! :D They probably call their grandfather "Pops" and were trying to figure out why you wanted an old man to go with your "hot dog" "frankfurter" "wiener", etc, etc, etc

Bruce
:yuckyuck

and I've been told about the coke thing before :) Coke was a general term for 'pop' or 'soda pop' and not just a flavour as I am used to calling it :p

Back
Top Bottom