Free Range or Not? What Does Everyone Prefer?

I have 22 chicks now between 6 and 8 weeks old. Since it has been pretty warm here, we moved them out of the screened porch into the coop/run we finished last week end. We made the coop out of an old 10 x 12 storage shed and attached a run that is about 24 x 10, totally covered by poulty wire. We open a small door on the coop in the morning and let them out into the run allday and back into the coop at night, still a bit chilly so we have a heat lamp on all night. they seem to be happy.

Our goal is to let them out into the yard in the day, our house is on a one acre lot. and backinto the coop at night with the run access always available for days we may be away. Is this a good idea, or should they just be in the coop at night like now.

Also, for free ranging, at what age should they be smart enough to know to come back into the coop at night? Or is there a trick to training them to return home. I am sort of worried that they may get out and not come back, even though they do go into the coop every night. Maybe it is just being nervous about letting babies out on their own. Like my teenagers, lol.

Another question, do chickens have a "pecking order" ? the smaller ones, Sicilian buttercups, are having little arguments and a bigger bird, plymouth rock, runs and breaks it up. Fun to watch.

Thanks for anyones advice!!

Did you keep them in there coop a couple weeks b4 letting them in the run?? If so they should no as it gets dark to get there little butts in the house on their own, if they don't, walk them up there ramp into the coop a couple weeks.. they will get it :)

The chick were getting too crowded in the small enclosure on the porch, so we hurried and made the run and put "chicken shelves" in an old metal shed we got off of craigs list. ( What a warped peice of crap that was when we started, lol) We haven't added the window yet and I thought it was too dark for them to be in it all the time. So, we put them in the coop and the next day opened their little door. They go in and out, from coop to run and back all day. we close the door to the coop about half an hour after sunset and they are all inside when we do this. Except for one evening when two go left out and we went out to find them crying the next morning.

How long should we keep them only in the run and coop before letting them into the yard?. How old should they be? Do we wait intil they start laying eggs so the girls will understand where they are supposed to lay the eggs, like not under the bushes. lol.

Here is a pic of the coop/run they are in now. We are giving them a window this weekend <3

We are fenced in on 3 sides with wood and aluminum in front. I think the chicks will get big enough not to slip through the front fence, hopefully. I know we have racoons and opossums and plenty of halks. We moved into this property 18 months ago. I am told there are fox also inthe area and my hubby saw otters in the canal across the road. Most all of the other houses have fences for their dogs. Can a halk carry away a ful grown chicken?

it looks like your fenced in on top but if not, maybe take a look at www.pinnonhatch.com click netting... very cheap and a heavier duty than I have seen at the local places for the same price. Hope that helps, that will deter your hawks at the least...

My coop/run is located within an acre fenced in area. They can free range if they choose.
thumbsup.gif

I have heard a Guinea is a watchdog from hell. idk if you can mix with a chicken, I know you can with a turkey though... They say they freak out when predators are near and give the heads up to get the hell outta dodge lmao

I have 22 chicks now between 6 and 8 weeks old. Since it has been pretty warm here, we moved them out of the screened porch into the coop/run we finished last week end. We made the coop out of an old 10 x 12 storage shed and attached a run that is about 24 x 10, totally covered by poultry wire. We open a small door on the coop in the morning and let them out into the run all day and back into the coop at night, still a bit chilly so we have a heat lamp on all night. they seem to be happy.

I just checked the weather for Palm Beach. The "really lows" are 50F, highs in the 80s. Save the electricity,

Our goal is to let them out into the yard in the day, our house is on a one acre lot. and back into the coop at night with the run access always available for days we may be away. Is this a good idea, or should they just be in the coop at night like now.
Also, for free ranging, at what age should they be smart enough to know to come back into the coop at night? Or is there a trick to training them to return home. I am sort of worried that they may get out and not come back, even though they do go into the coop every night. Maybe it is just being nervous about letting babies out on their own. Like my teenagers, lol.

They will go back to the coop on their own since that is where they know to sleep. (But see below). Unless your run is as "Fort Knox" as the coop (which should be "Fort Knox"), lock them in the coop at night or the foxes and coons will get them.

Another question, do chickens have a "pecking order" ?

ABSOLUTELY. That is where the term came from, chickens "at the top" pecking those "lower down". That is why it is good to have enough roost room at the highest level for all the chickens so the "lower" girls don't have to sleep "lower". They want to be high when they are sleeping (an intuitive "farther off the ground is safer" thing I think). If there isn't enough room on the highest roost, those in the top of the order will force the others to lower roosts where they won't feel as safe.

My 12 have more than plenty of space and all sleep on the top roosts but the "top girl" still "mounts" those lower in the order even those that are bigger than she. It seems like a "reminder" that she is on the top and the others better not forget it, even when they weren't doing anything other than hanging out like all the other girls. I give her a scolding when I catch her because *I* am the TOP chicken in the coop and she knows it.

The chick were getting too crowded in the small enclosure on the porch, so we hurried and made the run and put "chicken shelves" in an old metal shed we got off of craigs list. ( What a warped peice of crap that was when we started, lol) We haven't added the window yet and I thought it was too dark for them to be in it all the time.

PUT IN THE WINDOW
big_smile.png
They like light and can't see in the dark. You want the coop to still have some light in it as the sun starts to go down or they WON"T go in at night, it will be darker in the coop than outside. Once it is dark enough outside that they really want to go in, they won't be able to see in the coop to get to the roosts unless you have windows or electric lights. We have that problem with the coop being in an old barn, set back 10 feet from the west wall. Still plenty light outside the barn, why go in? You can't have too much light in the coop.

And since it isn't obvious from the picture, do you have proper ventilation?? Check the coop section of BYC. Non drafty ventilation is MASSIVELY important. Way more important than heat - which you will NOT need in Florida next winter for your grown birds. They can keep themselves warm but they can't clear the ammonia from their poop out of the air. Your 10x12 is adequate for 22 birds but not if it isn't ventilated.

So, we put them in the coop and the next day opened their little door. They go in and out, from coop to run and back all day. we close the door to the coop about half an hour after sunset and they are all inside when we do this. Except for one evening when two go left out and we went out to find them crying the next morning.

You have to count - harder with more birds, especially if they are mostly the same breed. If you can't find them all when you count, look under other chickens. We had that happen once counting from both the front and side. 1,2,3,4 ... 11. 1,2,3,4,.....11. I finally went in the coop and found one chicken had two heads, one high and one low. 12, good night girls.

I guess if you have too many to count, you just hope they all make it in. If not, maybe they'll remember to follow the crowd the next night.

How long should we keep them only in the run and coop before letting them into the yard?. How old should they be?

You can let them out in the yard, and probably want to or you'll have nothing but dirt and mud in the run because they will eat the grass and scratch up all the ground doing what chickens do - scratching and looking for food. They have simple lives
wink.png
Start by letting them out while you are there watching. If they are like mine, they won't go far from the coop and run at first because that is where they feel safe. I made an 18' x 18' outside run (uncovered, just 4' chicken wire on cheap T posts) and gave them access to that, then let them out daily for a while as we watched. Then when we opened the coop, we also opened the door to the run and they went in and out on their own whether we were there or not. Maybe it is BECAUSE we let them "taste the apple", they started to fly the fence on their own at some point. So now we just open the barn door and they come and go as they please while we are home. They can fly into the outside run if they like
wink.png
I've never seen one more than maybe 100' from a building.

That said:
1) Just because we are home doesn't mean we are outside. So if a hawk or dog or fox came by, the chickens aren't safe.
2) They were hatched in June so by the time they were big enough to be brave, it was getting colder and starting to snow so they didn't have a great desire to roam anyway. Not sure how far they may want to travel as Spring comes.

Do we wait until they start laying eggs so the girls will understand where they are supposed to lay the eggs, like not under the bushes. lol.

Don't wait. The chickens will be happier and healthier if they get to wander around and eat greens and bugs. Get the nest boxes ready early, but if they start sleeping in them (make sure they are LOWER than the roosts), cover them until the girls are getting ready to lay. You will know when this is. Their combs will start to grow and get RED. They will start to squat (they flatten out like a pancake when you put your hand over them) and if like mine, they will start being more social with you. I attribute it to them starting to feel "weird" and looking for "support" from the "head chicken". If you then see them poking around in darker places where they have not before, put them in the nest and let them check it out - they may do this on their own if the nests aren't covered. You can also put fake eggs in the boxes at that time. Some use golf balls, some use wooden eggs made for this purpose. I have a yellow and purple plastic egg with a rock inside. They somehow "know" that they want to lay where another "chicken" has decided it is safe to lay.

We are fenced in on 3 sides with wood and aluminum in front. I think the chicks will get big enough not to slip through the front fence, hopefully.

Chickens can clear a pretty tall fence - 4' is not a barrier to most chickens. However, if it is high enough to keep them in (6' probably effective for MOST chicken breeds) but has vertical gaps like the fence in the picture, even a 1' piece of chicken wire will keep them in. They don't climb..

I know we have racoons and opossums and plenty of hawks. We moved into this property 18 months ago. I am told there are fox also in the area and my hubby saw otters in the canal across the road.

Fox - problem.
Otter - not likely a problem, at least not with grown birds. My wife saw an otter on the bank of our small pond behind the barn this week. The "girls" were out behind the barn as well. The otter paid them no attention and they didn't seem to be concerned about it. More than likely, though it was the first time my wife had seen the otter, the animals were probably already "acquainted". Besides, if your yard is fenced, the otter won't be in it anyway.
Possums - not likely a problem for ADULT Large Fowl, problem for eggs and chicks
Also watch for weasels. They are SMALL, can get through SMALL holes, climb really well and will kill your chickens while they sleep - thus the need for "Fort Knox" at night.

Most all of the other houses have fences for their dogs.
MOST? If ANY of the neighbors' dogs can get into your fenced area, your chickens are in danger.

Can a hawk carry away a full grown chicken?
Yes, depending on the size of the hawk and the chicken.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks so much for your reply !!
Originally Posted by LynnMarie

I have 22 chicks now between 6 and 8 weeks old. Since it has been pretty warm here, we moved them out of the screened porch into the coop/run we finished last week end. We made the coop out of an old 10 x 12 storage shed and attached a run that is about 24 x 10, totally covered by poultry wire. We open a small door on the coop in the morning and let them out into the run all day and back into the coop at night, still a bit chilly so we have a heat lamp on all night. they seem to be happy.

I just checked the weather for Palm Beach. The "really lows" are 50F, highs in the 80s. Save the electricity,

This is florida, don't ya know, to us the 50's is like bbrrrrrrr. lol! But really, our chicks are between 4 and 6 weeks old, so after I add the window, we won't need the heat lamp at night? spring is coming, so we shouldn't be getting any cooler weather. How cold will a chicken be okay with, at night, so they don't get sick?

Our goal is to let them out into the yard in the day, our house is on a one acre lot. and back into the coop at night with the run access always available for days we may be away. Is this a good idea, or should they just be in the coop at night like now.

They will go back to the coop on their own since that is where they know to sleep. (But see below). Unless your run is as "Fort Knox" as the coop (which should be "Fort Knox"), lock them in the coop at night or the foxes and coons will get them. Okay

Another question, do chickens have a "pecking order" ?

ABSOLUTELY. That is where the term came from, chickens "at the top" pecking those "lower down". That is why it is good to have enough roost room at the highest level for all the chickens so the "lower" girls don't have to sleep "lower". They want to be high when they are sleeping (an intuitive "farther off the ground is safer" thing I think). If there isn't enough room on the highest roost, those in the top of the order will force the others to lower roosts where they won't feel as safe.

My 12 have more than plenty of space and all sleep on the top roosts but the "top girl" still "mounts" those lower in the order even those that are bigger than she. It seems like a "reminder" that she is on the top and the others better not forget it, even when they weren't doing anything other than hanging out like all the other girls. I give her a scolding when I catch her because *I* am the TOP chicken in the coop and she knows it.

We have 5 week old sicilian buttercupt who are sort of mock challenging each other all the time this past week . They run at each other and bump chests and jump up and down, then out of nowhere, one of the 6 week old black australorp ( she is so much bigger in size) comes running up inbetween them. Some times she also pecks at the smaller 4 week olds. I think she has plans to be on the top roost.

The chick were getting too crowded in the small enclosure on the porch, so we hurried and made the run and put "chicken shelves" in an old metal shed we got off of craigs list. ( What a warped peice of crap that was when we started, lol) We haven't added the window yet and I thought it was too dark for them to be in it all the time.

PUT IN THE WINDOW
big_smile.png
They like light and can't see in the dark. You want the coop to still have some light in it as the sun starts to go down or they WON"T go in at night, it will be darker in the coop than outside. Once it is dark enough outside that they really want to go in, they won't be able to see in the coop to get to the roosts unless you have windows or electric lights. We have that problem with the coop being in an old barn, set back 10 feet from the west wall. Still plenty light outside the barn, why go in? You can't have too much light in the coop.

Our coop runs west to east,the run side, and the window will be on the south so we should hsve plenty of light all day.

And since it isn't obvious from the picture, do you have proper ventilation?? Check the coop section of BYC. Non drafty ventilation is MASSIVELY important. Way more important than heat - which you will NOT need in Florida next winter for your grown birds. They can keep themselves warm but they can't clear the ammonia from their poop out of the air. Your 10x12 is adequate for 22 birds but not if it isn't ventilated.
there were already two small vents toward the top in the front and back, and we added a larger vent at the top on the east side. to me, it's not enough. the window is going to be homemade, repurposing some old wood and plexiglass. I was planning to make a 18" x 12" opening to cover with chick wire on the coop. then make a frame for the plexi, 18" x 24" and keep it opened at an angle all the time, kind of like plantation shutters, but letting the light in, and will close it all the way when it gets too stormy out. I wanted to place it toward the top of the side, on the opposite side of the nesting boxes. I'm not sure about if it will be too drafty though.

So, we put them in the coop and the next day opened their little door. They go in and out, from coop to run and back all day. we close the door to the coop about half an hour after sunset and they are all inside when we do this. Except for one evening when two go left out and we went out to find them crying the next morning.

You have to count - harder with more birds, especially if they are mostly the same breed. If you can't find them all when you count, look under other chickens. We had that happen once counting from both the front and side. 1,2,3,4 ... 11. 1,2,3,4,.....11. I finally went in the coop and found one chicken had two heads, one high and one low. 12, good night girls.

I guess if you have too many to count, you just hope they all make it in. If not, maybe they'll remember to follow the crowd the next night.
We have a variety, so yea, we count the black onesand the red ones and the yellow ones . . .

How long should we keep them only in the run and coop before letting them into the yard?. How old should they be?

You can let them out in the yard, and probably want to or you'll have nothing but dirt and mud in the run because they will eat the grass and scratch up all the ground doing what chickens do - scratching and looking for food. They have simple lives
wink.png
Start by letting them out while you are there watching. If they are like mine, they won't go far from the coop and run at first because that is where they feel safe. I made an 18' x 18' outside run (uncovered, just 4' chicken wire on cheap T posts) and gave them access to that, then let them out daily for a while as we watched. Then when we opened the coop, we also opened the door to the run and they went in and out on their own whether we were there or not. Maybe it is BECAUSE we let them "taste the apple", they started to fly the fence on their own at some point. So now we just open the barn door and they come and go as they please while we are home. They can fly into the outside run if they like
wink.png
I've never seen one more than maybe 100' from a building.

That said:
1) Just because we are home doesn't mean we are outside. So if a hawk or dog or fox came by, the chickens aren't safe.
2) They were hatched in June so by the time they were big enough to be brave, it was getting colder and starting to snow so they didn't have a great desire to roam anyway. Not sure how far they may want to travel as Spring comes.
Our girls all hatched in feb and are growing fast, at least it seams so to me, and chicken newbie. We will probably let them out of the run in May, maybe sooner,.

Do we wait until they start laying eggs so the girls will understand where they are supposed to lay the eggs, like not under the bushes. lol.

Don't wait. The chickens will be happier and healthier if they get to wander around and eat greens and bugs. Get the nest boxes ready early, but if they start sleeping in them (make sure they are LOWER than the roosts), cover them until the girls are getting ready to lay. You will know when this is. Their combs will start to grow and get RED. They will start to squat (they flatten out like a pancake when you put your hand over them) and if like mine, they will start being more social with you. I attribute it to them starting to feel "weird" and looking for "support" from the "head chicken". If you then see them poking around in darker places where they have not before, put them in the nest and let them check it out - they may do this on their own if the nests aren't covered. You can also put fake eggs in the boxes at that time. Some use golf balls, some use wooden eggs made for this purpose. I have a yellow and purple plastic egg with a rock inside. They somehow "know" that they want to lay where another "chicken" has decided it is safe to lay.
I will be saving those plastic easter eggs for sure this year, lol great idea! and yes, they are sleeping in the nesting boxes, so we will cover them up. Also make some higher roosts.

We are fenced in on 3 sides with wood and aluminum in front. I think the chicks will get big enough not to slip through the front fence, hopefully.

Chickens can clear a pretty tall fence - 4' is not a barrier to most chickens. However, if it is high enough to keep them in (6' probably effective for MOST chicken breeds) but has vertical gaps like the fence in the picture, even a 1' piece of chicken wire will keep them in. They don't climb..
the wood fence in the pic is the back neighbors and was here when be bought the prop. We have 6' privacy fence on the side and 4' metal only in the front next to the road. The metal has 4" between bars, so I know they will probably be able to slip through, I am just hoping they won't wonder that far front until thye are fully grown big girls. If need be. we could always cover it with a smaller wire .

I know we have racoons and opossums and plenty of hawks. We moved into this property 18 months ago. I am told there are fox also in the area and my hubby saw otters in the canal across the road.

Fox - problem.
Otter - not likely a problem, at least not with grown birds. My wife saw an otter on the bank of our small pond behind the barn this week. The "girls" were out behind the barn as well. The otter paid them no attention and they didn't seem to be concerned about it. More than likely, though it was the first time my wife had seen the otter, the animals were probably already "acquainted". Besides, if your yard is fenced, the otter won't be in it anyway.
Possums - not likely a problem for ADULT Large Fowl, problem for eggs and chicks
Also watch for weasels. They are SMALL, can get through SMALL holes, climb really well and will kill your chickens while they sleep - thus the need for "Fort Knox" at night.

Most all of the other houses have fences for their dogs.
MOST? If ANY of the neighbors' dogs can get into your fenced area, your chickens are in danger.

I have never heard of weasles in florida, but that dosen't mean they aren't here. Mostly I see racoons. We have a small fish pond in the front of our home with goldfish and a couple of time we have found the plastic fish food container about 50 yard around the side of the house, with racoon smell all over it. they couldn't get it opened, lol, so I know that they are here and hungry.

Can a hawk carry away a full grown chicken?
Yes, depending on the size of the hawk and the chicken.

Smallish hawks, and hopefully biggish chickens!
D.gif

Thanks again Bruce, for all of your suggestions!

Last edited:
This is florida, don't ya know, to us the 50's is like bbrrrrrrr. lol! But really, our chicks are between 4 and 6 weeks old, so after I add the window, we won't need the heat lamp at night? spring is coming, so we shouldn't be getting any cooler weather. How cold will a chicken be okay with, at night, so they don't get sick?

If they are coming out of the brooder with heat, probably need to pay more attention than if they were older. They have feathered for the "current conditions". But, at 4 weeks, you shouldn't be needing to heat them. I would be prepared, just in case, but like you do in the brooder, watch them to see if they look like they are cold. They may all still sleep in a pile, as much for comfort of being with the crowd but there should be no wind chill inside the coop. And you won't kill them if you get nervous and have some heat in one corner that they can choose to use. Another idea is to put a box (or two) on it's side with the opening facing the wall. They can go in and trap their own heat.

We have 5 week old Sicilian Buttercups who are sort of mock challenging each other all the time this past week . They run at each other and bump chests and jump up and down,
Yeah, mine did that too. they have to decide who is going to be in charge.

then out of nowhere, one of the 6 week old black australorp ( she is so much bigger in size) comes running up inbetween them. Some times she also pecks at the smaller 4 week olds. I think she has plans to be on the top roost.
Maybe, maybe not. Might just does not like all the fuss
big_smile.png
Australorps are pretty mellow, at least mine are.

there were already two small vents toward the top in the front and back, and we added a larger vent at the top on the east side. to me, it's not enough. the window is going to be homemade, repurposing some old wood and plexiglass. I was planning to make a 18" x 12" opening to cover with chick wire on the coop. then make a frame for the plexi, 18" x 24" and keep it opened at an angle all the time, kind of like plantation shutters, but letting the light in, and will close it all the way when it gets too stormy out. I wanted to place it toward the top of the side, on the opposite side of the nesting boxes. I'm not sure about if it will be too drafty though.

What you need to avoid is air blowing over the birds when they are on the roost.

Our girls all hatched in feb and are growing fast, at least it seams so to me, and chicken newbie. We will probably let them out of the run in May, maybe sooner,.

Yeah, I was amazed at how fast they grew. When they were really little you could sometimes see changes from morning to afternoon.

I will be saving those plastic easter eggs for sure this year, lol great idea! and yes, they are sleeping in the nesting boxes, so we will cover them up. Also make some higher roosts.

Definitely don't want them sleeping in the nests. Chickens poop when they sleep. The LAST place you want them to sleep is in the nest. If they haven't gotten on the roosts by themselves, put them on. They'll get the idea and it is more natural for them anyway.

the wood fence in the pic is the back neighbors and was here when be bought the prop. We have 6' privacy fence on the side and 4' metal only in the front next to the road. The metal has 4" between bars, so I know they will probably be able to slip through, I am just hoping they won't wonder that far front until thye are fully grown big girls. If need be. we could always cover it with a smaller wire .

They'll be able to get through a 4" gap for some time. I'd put something across the first foot if you aren't out with them if they look like they are interested in seeing what is on the other side. Mostly I think they just wander wherever there beak and eyes lead them looking for stuff to eat. In that case, they probably wouldn't go past the fence because staying in is easier and they can see MORE good stuff "just ahead".

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom