Free range vs run

Pics
I shouldn't laugh, @aart , but that picture is worth thousands of words.

As to the original subject, I have a largish run (4' livestock fence, with poultry netting attached to the bottom 3') which measures 27' x40' but free range my birds during the day. They go in the run and house only overnight. The run is being expanded in the near-ish term, mostly to make room for a second hen house and allow for temporary partitioning when needed.

The birds have their choice of an acre cleared, 3/4 acre under-brushed, and about three acres on the periphery which are moderately wooded. Protected by an oversized electric fence (rated 30 miles, actual size, 3 strands at .5 miles each, plus additional uncharged strands). Its impractical to protect from avian predators - in fact, we just had a hawk swoop over the range about half hour ago...

My birds are not pets, I've come to accept that some airborne predation is unfortunately unavoidable. Even if I could watch them 24/7, my eyes can't be everywhere. We are in a remote area, sitting on 30 acres surrounded by undeveloped pine lowlands, largely undeveloped hardwood hammocks, large cow pastures, and several commercial grape vineyards as well as a moderate amount of stand pine plantings for timber. Have done what I can to protect from four-footed predators, but those who take their meals on the wing can't be excluded, best I can do is try to ensure that the birds exposed to those dangers weigh as much as the local avian predators.

Last edited:
Needs have a more secure cover, eh?

Doubtful.
..oh maybe this owl needs to be painted black?
full
Lol

We free range our flock of 15 hens and 1 Roo. So far we have lost one hen last backend and we think that went to the local gypsy camped at the end of the lane, there had been no sign of predation. My girls are very tame and when coming up to you will squat to be picked up and cuddled. BUT no proof except that they had a chicken that looked very much like mine????? We live in a farm house with fields all around us so they go where they like, they have an automatic coop door that opens when it gets light and closes at dusk.

We free range our flock of 15 hens and 1 Roo. So far we have lost one hen last backend and we think that went to the local gypsy camped at the end of the lane, there had been no sign of predation. My girls are very tame and when coming up to you will squat to be picked up and cuddled. BUT no proof except that they had a chicken that looked very much like mine????? We live in a farm house with fields all around us so they go where they like, they have an automatic coop door that opens when it gets light and closes at dusk.
You know what happen to the chicken that went to Gypsy camp? Chicken soup!!

Get a rooster! If you can stand the early cock-a-doodle-doos they are so worth it and great for protecting your hens! We had ordered 8 hens online and when I was ready to turn them loose I worried about their safety also. I went to the local Tractor Supply Store for supplies and one of the employees had an extra Rooster she wanted to re home. Roosty our rooster has been a great fit! We free range all day on 370 acres in Texas. They stick close to the house though. He still roosts in the cedar tree by the hen haus at night, and occasionally some will roost up there with him. Most sleep in the hen Haus.

I have four buildings comprising a total of seven units. All have runs, only one of which is actually predator-proof (and I haven't closed the gate on that one for about a week now!) So, basically, all my birds are free-range because they've dug their own passageways underneath the fencing or simply fly out whenever they want 😆 I just make a point to be home at/around "dark time" so I can lock them up safely in their buildings, since the predators we have around here mostly come by during the nights. I worry a bit about the few that choose to roost 30' up in the trees, but they only go up there if I'm not home in time to prevent them from going up there.

We also have three LGDs who do a good job of scaring critters away whenever they are out (which is only a few times a day, because barking bylaws prevent us leaving them out 24/7 😡) and I'm sure all the scent-marking they do discourages any from coming on the property, except maybe when they're starving. Before I got the dogs, I lost birds on a regular basis, run or not. I have also moved towards more predator-savvy breeds, like Icelandics and Aracaunas.

Back
Top Bottom