Free ranging baby chicks w/ mom???

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have 2 hens (1 w/ 8 chics and another w/2). I have both of them cooped up in different pens. However, would really like to let the hens and babies out during the day to free range w/ the others. Is it ok to do this. 2 of the chicks are about 2 1/2-3 weeks old while the others are going on just a week. Can I allow them to free range during the day w/ my other chickens. All get locked up at night.

THanks
Kim

I would give it a try. Usually, if a hen is a good mother, she will keep track of her chicks, keep them safe from aggresive ones in the flock, and lead them all 'home' again for the night. Try it with one hen at a time, just to see how each one does. Do make sure, in the evening, that her instincts are strong enough that she leads the chicks back to the nesting area, and doesn't abandon them to roost with the other full-grown birds.

I would go ahead, just keep an eye on them. I usually let my Mommas and babies out to free range, within the first week. Mommas are realy good at keeping others away from their babies.

Back
Top Bottom