Free Ranging Ducks possible on this plot?

Unless you get ducks that can fly I don't think you'll have them for long. If you are going to not lock them up at night they will get snatched. You've already seen coyotes, raccoons, and bobcats and once those predators find them it's game over.

Unless you get ducks that can fly I don't think you'll have them for long. If you are going to not lock them up at night they will get snatched. You've already seen coyotes, raccoons, and bobcats and once those predators find them it's game over.

If they have a secure coop and automatic door, nighttime won’t be an issue.

However; If they flat out refuse to use the automatic door regardless of training, then I’d agree with you. Unless I’m missing something that you’re seeing?

Definitely possible, some ducks just don't want to go into the coop at night. I still have to carry 2 of mine in every day when the sun goes down.
X2 on this. My ducks have a kennel pen for night and I open it up during the day so they can free range. Sometimes if I go out late enough (after dark) they will already be inside it. But most nights I have to herd them in. Hopefully yours will learn to go in before the auto door closes. Maybe you could train them from an early age, and then it will become their routine.

If you do decide to try this, I hope you will come back here and post updates. I would be interested to see how they navigate the stream.

Small update:
Will be starting construction on the coop this week.

3’ high by 8’ wide by 3’ deep- so 24ft2 of floor space.

Planning on pouring the concrete footers tomorrow and will have the coop sit 4” above ground level with a very small ramp up.

I’m going to keep it a very simple design. So plywood with laminate flooring for floor- likely 10” deep so I can work the deep litter method. Plywood with siding for walls. Plywood with felt and shingles for roof- I’ll pitch the roof where only half opens to keep the weight manageable for opening.

3 small vents (weather proof dryer vents like my chicken coop) and an automatic door.

That’s pretty much it unless anyone has any suggestions.

As for the ducklings- I’ll order those up this week too. Would get Peking but being white makes for a pretty big free range target so I’m thinking khakis and/or Indian runners?
3 and 3? 6 of one? Any other thoughts?

I’m in a residential area so while I have a running creek to drown down the sound, having a quieter breed that is relatively camouflage (not white) would be preferred.

I’ll post my coop construction here as I proceed.

Wanted to give an update now that the original ducks are 5 weeks old today and the 2nd round are now 1 week old.

It’s been a bit of a learning curve.

I originally ordered 8 ducks knowing I wanted to settle on about 3-6 females w/ no drakes. i ordered them from my local feed store and 3 died in transit to them and one had neuro issues right away and died first night. The other 4 seemed to be doing fine. Turned out that one was significantly smaller than the other 3 and was certainly a runt. Had some issues keeping up but eventually found her legs and even though small, still kept up. Around 10 days-2 weeks old I moved them outside to my small decorative pond and still in the brooder at night. At 4 weeks, I moved them down to their permanent home/creek and they’ve been loving life since.

I did, sadly, lose the runt though during a rain storm. Just as I suspected, the ducks thought it would be a wise idea to get in a raging rapid creek and though I walked over a mile looking, couldn’t find her. I’m hoping once fully grown they either smarten up or get stronger to fight a current like that enough to get out immediately. 1 went about 100 feet down creek (but could have been because staying with other). Haven’t had that issue again.

See pics from tonight (ignore the burn pile that needs to go).

059441BD-C0CF-40BC-ADC9-85BADE116DEB.jpeg
D8509A9A-9045-42C4-BEDC-5D567FA84B03.jpeg
D618276E-6AD9-46A8-8104-EC80B57CF885.jpeg

As for the new 1 week old ducklings, I may need a bit of advice. Starting at day 4, I let them have some pond time. Turns out they loved it so much they never wanted to leave. It being Texas and 95 outside, I’ve moved to just letting them stay outside all day with the pond for water and their feeder next door. No real predators though a hawk might get them (but tons of cover so doubtful). Anyways- lost one today while I was cleaning the pond filter. The ducks are extremely skittish and I think it had a heart attack. Or possibly drowned? I saw it start ducking its head to water oddly, so I swooped it out and it laid there for a few seconds then went to its back. I tried small compressions to its chest and belly and even blew softly in nostrils and mouth but couldn’t revive it. :-(

Anyways- Is it ok for that much pond time. From 7am-8pm I’d say they’re in that water 80-90% of the day. They seem happier and much healthier than the last set of ducklings though; albeit more skittish. Pics show their night and day setups.

53BDA484-01B2-4379-9DB3-020BFF1292AB.jpeg
A8CD6C79-FA19-44DF-9517-DEC4712EA08D.jpeg

Last few pics are my chickens and ducks together. The chickens eat from their feeder a lot. The ducks give them space but no aggression from anyone. I have not seen the ducks eat from this new feeder one time in the week they’ve been down there. Not sure if they’re just free ranging and fine with that, or if they’re eating when I’m not around. But they can see the chickens using the feeder- so hopefully they’re not too dumb to figure it out vs a ground feeder.
A516B8E2-9215-4250-A3BE-05C120B7F236.jpeg

E1436168-AA74-408A-B330-2CBC9CDB4420.jpeg

And a bonus pic of a beautiful yellow oyster mushroom from the rain we’ve been having. :)
844FF511-87D8-4B56-AB76-8C64280CCAE2.jpeg

As I said- some ups and downs and learning curve. They’re not high maintenance at all - It’s just the free range lifestyle. Losing one sucks but I’m fully aware of it happening.

One good thing of note:

They coop themselves up every night. Before the chickens, even. Automatic door. I haven’t had to herd them one time to go home. Every. Night. For ~10-12 nights now.
Now my damned chickens, on the other hand, all want to roost on the wrought iron fence and I have to manually shove them in the coop even with my useless automatic door. That’s been a thing for 3 months now :/
I did start their first two days with a fence around the coop, so they’d learn their food (and water at time) and home was there. So maybe that’s good advice or maybe im just lucky as hell. Either way- that’s been a godsend. Because they’re very skittish around me and keep their distance or go in water when im around. I try to give them snacks but they don’t get close enough to eat them. I’ll win their hearts eventually- any advice there?

Last edited:
I am amazed you haven’t lost all your ducklings leaving them to fend for themselves at such a young age. That’s WHy in real life they have a mama to protect them keep them warm etc. so it’s our responsibility to take on that role when we bring them home defenseless.

Back
Top Bottom