free ranging girls, and i can't find their eggs :-/

danaalex

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
this started a week or so ago. they all stopped laying in the nesting boxes...... i found 4 random eggs throughout the yard and since then haven't found anymore. i have 8 hens that i KNOW are laying. i just can't figure out WHERE! it's a bit frustrating. part of me thinks that i have a critter that is stealing the eggs which is why i can't find them. since i don't know where they are laying it's hard to prove that! none are broody and it hasn't been so hot ( except a couple of days this week) that they would ALL stop laying.

i've thought about keeping the layers locked up in the pen for a week. what do you think?

That's probably what I would do, as long as they can get outdoors and have shade and breeze for the heat. This is definitely the time of year for snakes to steal eggs -- voice of experience here.

they can get outside, but where their pen is there isn't much shade..... i am going to work on enlarging the pen this weekend and that will end up enclosing a shady area.

i hadn't even thought about snakes! i know i get them in my yard from time to time. blah. i'm going to search the yard again today and then tomorrow start penning the girls that are laying.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom