Free ranging on Martin Farm ~ Our journey from bust to breeding.

FreeRanging Hen

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Western Australia
I've been attempting to upload photo's of our current journey to an album on my profile, with no luck.
So I thought I may as well start a thread documenting our journey, to which I can continually upload my photo's to and tell my journey tales in.

Backstory:
We're on 90 acres in semi rural Western Australia, with bush land on our property and surrounding it too.
We've had the privilege of having chickens since we moved here 6 and a half years ago.
We started out with some older crossbreed bantams gifted to us, then we bought some Wyandotte's and some Orpington crosses at the local poultry club sale.
We then ventured into ducks and geese.

Over the years we lost some to foxes and dog attacks and the rest grew old that they barely laid anymore.
We learned about rooster to hen ratio when we took in 3 Pekin roosters a friend needed a temporary home for.
We learned about parasites, scale mite and stick fleas when we were gifted a pair of infested chickens.
We learned how to sprout grain to improve feed nutrition and we learned that a broody hen shouldn't be left to nest with a broody duck, because apparently ducks eat chicks whole.... Or so we were told when our hen's chicks went missing overnight without a trace and we asked why.

We rehomed the ducks because we couldn't supply them with enough water to satisfy their need to bathe in daily and we have no dam for them so they consistently messed up the goats water tubs. I do miss our ducks, they were such a pleasure to listen to singing.
We still have the geese that the fox or feral dog left us when it pinched our nesting geese. They seem rather content with a deep bucket of water and the occasional paddle pool of water, though I'd like to build them an IBC pond now that we have more rain water storage and a water carting truck (we're not connected to any source of mains water out here and our rainfall is lucky to hit a measly 400mm/year).

When egg production dropped so low that we weren't getting enough eggs to feed our growing family, we decided to venture into chicks to replenish our chook pen. First we tried day olds, who eventually moved into the older flock when they were big enough. This got us interested in poultry breeds and breeding and the possibility of one day maybe getting into poultry showing. We were hooked. Poultry enthusiasts in the making.

We decided on the two breeds we'd like to have and breed, based on what we previously and currently already had on the property.
The next thing was to research how to incubate, our chosen breeds' SOP, their genetics and how to establish a decent line with what we already had.
We bought an incubator and some cheap eggs to try our first incubation with, before venturing into buying quality eggs to incubate.
It was a success! Our first ever hatch was a 70% hatch rate.

We found a couple beautiful quality cockerels, one of each chosen breed and after their quarantine period, introduced them to their respective pens.
We were going well, or so we thought.

Things got weird. We started having somebody trespassing on our property.
I went out one night to see a couple torches flicker off down near our shed and heard the scrambling of somebody hurrying away in the dark.
As I stood there with a friend on the verandah, perplexed by what we had just witnessed, I heard desperate cheeping from my chick brooder. When I looked, I noticed that their light was off.
Thinking it had blown, my friend went to switch the extension lead off so I could replace the blown bulb, but it was unplugged.
Not just tripped over, or fallen out and onto the ground from the power point over a metre high up the wall. No.... unplugged and neatly laid on the bench top next to the power point.
Upon plugging it back in, the light turned back on. It hadn't blown, it had been unplugged.

In the following weeks, we found closed gates open in the morning. Plants were trampled and snapped in the gardens. Things were moved around to different places through the night. Subtle stuff that really messes with your mind and has you questioning if it really was someone trespassing, or did you actually remember things incorrectly..... Then we started finding the chook house door open in the morning after being securely shut and wedged with a golf club... And our chooks started dropping like flies.
Young and aged, new and old, we lost our whole flock. All the chicks in our brooder and all of the grown chooks up in the pen at night.
The only poultry to survive whatever onslaught was happening, were the free ranging geese who consistently were going off at something through the night. They were spooked enough to decide to sleep up the other side of the top paddock, instead of their usual spot near the house.

Now, I'm not saying for sure that someone was killing my chickens. I can't be certain of anything that happened without visual irrefutable evidence. It could have been disease, unchecked parasites, botulism.... Anything. Except in the case of my chicks, who were on a fermented feed, quarantined away from the rest and definitely not exposed to parasites in their brooder.
All I know is that I lost my whole flock and I was not ready to introduce more poultry until I had made some changes to prevent any further losses.

Around this time, my grandmother's cancer treatment journey took a turn for the worse and we eventually lost her. Everything I loved was dying around me. I felt terrible. I wasn't ready for starting my chicken journey again, so our plans were put aside until I was done grieving and ready to get back into life again.

So..... Here we are a year later, in the present moment and I'm ready.
These are the changes we've been making to prevent any possible causes happening again:

We borrowed a very big, loud, protective male dog for a few months and it seems that whoever was around did disappear for a while. There are signs that they may be back this past month, so we're in the market for a big dog to permanently adopt.

We've been gifted a farm cam, which will be set up in the big chook pen when my chickens are in there. This should capture any suspicious happenings, should they occur.
The geese have a new designated enclosure to be built behind the chook pen, so they will alert us to any intruders, human or animal and hopefully scare them off too.

The henhouse has undergone drastic changes, to improve air flow and ventilation.
The frame of the house itself will be sump oiled to smother any possible mite homes.
The old perches are gone, with new ones to be built in there soon.
The whole ground and floor have been covered in hay as we're going to try the traditional method of a burn cleanse, in an attempt to kill off any possible disease or parasites that may have survived the past year of poultry barrenness.

Our feeding regime will no longer be straight or soaked grains, but fermented feed as our trial of it last year was so successful and our chicks were thriving on it beautifully.

Our watering system is being changed from an auto-filling tub of water, to either poultry nipples or those poultry in-line cups. Not sure which yet, so would love people's opinion on both products.
Water conservation is a big concern here and I'm worried that the nipples may leak. This will prevent any water sitting stagnant, or being exposed to being polluted or poisoned.

We have sourced a locally produced liquid vitamin and mineral booster. Similar to putting a mineral pecking block in their pen but better in my opinion.
It's a fermented herbal liquid produced by a veterinarian who developed it with natural practises in mind. This will be used in conjunction with the garlic water we do for parasite prevention and fermented feed for nutrition consumption increase.

We disposed of our old brooder and my hubby lovingly built me a brand new one, to my personal specifications and needs. This brooder is inside our house this time. I'm not taking chances. We've done so much hard work and made such an effort, that I'm not losing my chicks to a preventable cause.

We're implementing a strict bio security regime for our property.
We'll only be bringing fertile eggs in and avoiding bringing live birds in where possible.
We'll be wearing bootie covers into the stock feed or places there are other poultry. Or washing our shoes afterwards if we haven't them on hand. We'll also ask visitors to wear them when exploring our property.
This will hopefully prevent possible soil, bacteria or dander contamination as much as possible.

I think I would like to get into poultry showing one day, but the risk of taking my birds off property, to exposed areas of other poultry makes me unsure I really want to risk it.
I however, am still more than interested in preserving my chosen breeds and improving them to their SOP's. Showing them is not my main goal, but continuing their breed, to their breeds' perfection is. I believe it to be as vital as keeping our heirloom seed lines going.

So here we are, ready to go again. Starting from scratch.....

(The story continues, as we've just hatched our first batch of chicks but I'll get there in another post, after I post some pictures of our changes)

Hello all.
It has been a very busy couple of months here. I haven't had much of a chance to hop on the computer and update our story.

So as you know, we tried three hatches over the months of December and early January. I thought I'd give a quick recap, to save anybody having to go back and read again :)
Usually I wouldn't attempt in these months because they are our hot summer months, but we had been having such a mild summer, that I decided I would just risk it.
Our first incubation went great, until lockdown when we had a summer storm mess with the temperature and humidity, resulting in massive temp spikes after the first five chicks hatched and cooking the rest of the hatchlings before they could finished internally pipping.
Our second went rather well for such damaged shipped eggs. Half of the eggs that I knew were good at lockdown, made it through hatch.
Our final hatch wasn't so successful. We hit the worst luck, with multiple days of power outages and a few days of extreme heat. By these days, I had devised a system of keeping the incubation room cool enough to counteract them, but two fell on days that were powerless, so I think they were just too stressful for the nine viable eggs. Only one of these eggs hatched, but the poor little thing was deformed and only lasted 24 hours, despite my best efforts. I packed the incubator away and have been patiently waiting for our cooler weather to arrive before I start incubating again.

As you know, I started losing chicks to an unknown cause.
After seeking much advice, asking many questions and researching many possibilities, I had ruled out most of the suspected causes. Suggestions included pasty butt, lack of grit, protein deficiency, Coccidiosis, Marek's and bird flu. I can't tell you how many industry, pharmaceutical and vet manuals and studies on poultry diseases and illnesses I read, to compliment the blogs, discussions and general articles I had scoured through.
Still without a full understanding, I had lost 4 of my first 5 hatched beautiful chickens and the last was showing the same symptoms.
Lucky was showing the symptoms a bit differently. The only way I can describe it is 'slower'. He had the same symptoms, but they were less severe and took longer to progress, which gave me an idea of what may be happening thanks to something I had previously read when trying to figure out if it was something else.
So I was left with one suspicion in mind.... Vitamin deficiency.
With this in mind, I started treating him with extra herbal vitamin supplement, still cautious and warily at first, as there is no dosage recommendation for small chicks.
He started to improve. He started to eat and drink unassisted and finally started to walk again (something that hadn't happened before with the other chicks), but sadly I think his body was too tired and he passed away overnight.

When one of the second hatch chicks started to show the same symptoms and was unable to walk, I didn't hesitate one second. I knew that proceeding warily would only result in death again, so I just took a chance and gave the vitamin supplement undisputed and ad lib. The recovery was amazing! The little chick turned around overnight and was up and walking the next day. Within two days, you couldn't even tell she had been sick!

I've received a fair bit of criticism for my choice to go medication free in raising my chicks. I understand it, because I know not everybody has done the amount of researching and reading I have, in my attempt to make this path work and they hold pharmaceutically and industrially influenced fears about chicken raising. I understand that there is a majority of people who place their faith and trust in the pharmaceutical industry.
I don't. I don't medicate my family and I don't medicate my animals.
I believe in natural health and prevention, healthy organic living and natural herbal healing where possible and I extend that right to my animals also.
Taking this path means that I have to do a lot of independant research to find our alternative ways.

When I started looking for ways to raise chicks without coccidiostat medications, I was unable to find much info that I could put into practise.
Other chicken breeders and bloggers overseas had trialled coccidiostat free feed vs coccidiostat feed and confirmed what I had suspected. That they are unnecessary.
One breeder even found that she lost more chicks to cocci in the medicated feed trial group, than in the non medicated feed trial group.
I had similar findings between my first two broods. I lost half of my first lot of day olds a few years ago, to coccidiosis by bringing in just one infected chick. They were all fed standard medicated chick crumble.
My second brood, I didn't lose a single one to coccidiosis. They were fed my first ever trial of fermented feed. They were among the whole flock of chickens that died while we were having trespasser issues. I could not and still cannot determine the cause of their deaths, but there was not one single symptom associated with coccidiosis.

Upon research, I found that coccidiosis is in the gut of every chick. It's in the soil and it's in the mother hen's faeces. A chick would be exposed to this naturally and even eat the mother hens feaces which should also contain good gut bacteria, in order to build an immunity to it before it was exposed to too much of it later in life. This is the way of a natural immune response.
Think of it in comparison to human candida if you will. We all have it, but it causes us no problems until it multiplies out of control. If we keep out gut health in check, we keep candida and internal parasites in check.
The same goes for animals.
The use of natural yoghurt, raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and fermented feeds provides probiotics and probiotics. These are the good bugs that keep guts healthy and tackle bad bugs. Using these, combined with good brooder hygiene can keep coccidiosis in chickens at bay.

I chose to trial fermented feed as a sole chick raising feed because I couldn't find a non-medicated certified organic chick starter available to me, when I went looking a couple years ago. Medicated feed just wasn't an option. Nor was soy.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a fermented feed recipe designed for chicks either. If I couldn't find the recipe needed after many months scouring poultry posts, discussions, blogs and articles, there was no choice but to pioneer the way myself.
So I had to research and trial my own again, hoping that I had it right.
I didn't and I will be the first to admit that I had the recipe wrong. I didn't use nearly enough of the herbal vitamin supplement, because I was scared that perhaps too much could do harm. I was worried that too many fresh herbs could do harm, so I cut them back a bit. Then I ran into problems, but didn't consider them to be a factor.
I was stupid, I made a mistake. I had the most beautiful Australorps, but I lost them because I was scared of giving them too much of a good thing. I won't have another chance of those beautiful birds gracing our property with their beauty. This makes me sad, but I know this was my own doing.

I went scouring the internet again, hoping that by now there was at least ONE product available in Australia that would suit what we wanted. I needed something that I could use in setting up my flock again. I can experiment another year, I just want to get my flock started and if don't need to experiment the perfect chick fermented feed recipe for now, I won't.
I was in luck. I finally found an Australian producer of Australian certified organic chick starter that was coccidiostat free. I sent my hubby to grab the biggest bag he could, from the ONE supplier in our state, that is three hours drive from us.

My beautiful chicks have grown so much and not a single symptom or illness in sight..... And still 100% coccidiosis free, on a coccidiostat free diet ;)

One year, when I have lots of chickens, I will trial a fermented grain recipe again, because we will only be truly self sufficient if we can grow our own chicken feed, but now I have a trusted starter crumble that I can supplement it with while perfecting the recipe :D
For now, I'm happy to have found a starter crumble to use, that doesn't compromise our beliefs, our needs and our way of living. Even if it is a very expensive bag of feed.

**photo's and links to come in next post

The brooder my hubby lovingly built me.

The height is perfect for my back issues. No bending over to clean, no reaching too high for any reason.
Each door opens independently. No need for opening the whole front and risking chicks jumping out. No need to open the bottom when feeding or petting, only when I clean.

Changes I would make, would be to put in a little Perspex window in one of the bottom doors, so my kids can see the chicks without leaning on the doors.
I will also add a little lip on the inside so I can use sand again, as I find this the easiest for cleaning and it dries out wet chickie poos fast.
A little shelf on the underneath would utilise the space below in a better way.
Other than that, there's not much I would change.

Wow! I'm surprised no one else has posted here yet, you tell an amazing story and the pictures are fantastic! I hope your chicks grow up big and strong for you. They made it through that first trial, so you know they have some gumption.
I look forward to seeing how your flock grows in the future, thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks newtnn.
I assumed it may be because people were tut-tutting as they shook their heads.

No matter, I'm doing my best to get out of rock bottom, to being back on top of the roost again. I'll tell my story, so,others can learn from my journey, if not to just look at the cute photo's of the fluffy chicks! :D

I plan to have lots more chicken stories to tell. Just so happy to have chickens again.

Definitely not tut-tutting, you are doing an eggcellent job!
I have subscribed so you know that I'll be here lurking and reading to keep up to date with the progress of the Australorps ;)
Looking forward to reading about your future chicken related adventures :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom