Free ranging pros and cons?

Lots of great thoughts here.

As a new backyarder in a big city, I have only encountered one daytime predator... A chicken hawk who has visited at least three times in the past month. Two were flyovers and one was a hit on a sparrow. My flock ran to my back door as I came out. The sparrow escaped from the clutches of Henry when he was startled by my arrival to the yard.

We still free range as long as someone is home.

Be prepared for the heartbreakiness of missing chickens. So far all missing episodes have been temporary for me. My girls have hiding places in my yard which I cannot yet find!

Last edited:
so I have a question about free ranging a flock that was known to wander. I got them from someone and part of the reason he no longer wanted them was because when he free ranged them- they would cross the street to his neighbors yard. So- besides not trusting my one dog- I am concerned they will jump ship. Any suggestions?

I have two dogs that protect the chickens when I'm at work daytime. My 13 yr old cat guards the coop at night against other cats mostly. I have s large yard in the city. Fenced.

We have 6 chicks and now 5 khaki Campbells. We leave for work before 7am...I let them out and they have free range, they have ample coverage in the heavy brush through out the property. There is plenty of mud and coolness offered by the acres of land we have. I put them in around 8pm....they all share a coop together, and honestly everyone seems very happy! I feel like they have natural instincts that allow them to protect themselves. We did loose a duck, but I believe she went out as a hero!

Pros: happy chickens, pest (bug) control, entertainment, major reduction in commercial feed eaten, the joy of watching and hearing my small flock (1 adult layer, 4 spring pullets, and 1 Banty-cross rooster) chasing after my riding lawn mower enjoying the free 'salad bar!'

Cons: poop on the porch, the need to watch new plants in the garden closely, predator loss (forgot to close the coop up one night and lost 2 hens to a weasel last summer.)

I let mine free range in my garden, not many predators to worry about that my dogs can't scare off. The flock takes care of the garden pests and the weeding. Win win.

Pros - Healthy chickens ,less feeding less cutting grass .Great to forage your garden and bug control. Cons- predator loss

I only let the hens out free range if I'm home working in the yard. But, I had a coyote run grab a hen and take off. I didn't see him take the 1st one, but I saw him take the 2nd. The hens were locked up for a week or two so as to get off the menu. I've also lost both roosters and hens to the red tailed hawks. Most of the time they have a run either in the tractor coop which can be moved or a stationary run.(In this one I fill with dead leaves, Fresh grass clipping, fruits and veg the local produce market can nolonger sell.

This is a great thread! We free ranged our chickens until the neighbors complained they were eating their garden. Now we only free range in the evenings, in our fenced in backyard. I love listening to them talk to each other when they're running around the yard, and they're great bug control as well! Our one neighbor (not the ones who complained) actually wanted them in their yard, said they would eat the ticks and fleas. Like previous posters have said, the pros and cons depend on your own situation.

Predators are a real problem, everything likes chickens. My roosters do help with day time predators.

A large area is a little vague, but any vegetation will be mostly gone with time. They do like to scratch, and will demolish a garden in a couple of minutes. May be hard on ornamental plantings too.

Mine get out most days, but I would strongly recommend a run/coup that is big enough that they can stay in lock up if needed. I generally don't let mine out if it is real windy, or if I am going to be gone till very late or a couple of days. The run/coup needs to be secure and safe.

But I do like them out and about being chickens, but I have lost several too.

Mrs K

Totally agree. When we are home, ours free range over our 14 acres. They stay in their runs anytime we are gone. Our runs are about 12 by 60 feet. They definitely need plenty of room when they are confined. We have aviary netting over our runs as well.

Back
Top Bottom