Free ranging pros and cons?

The only "cons" is if they get into a cultivated garden such as a vegetable plot or being exposed to predators.

My Roo "Debbie" - long story and the flock were free range for years - He took great care of all his ladies... but eventually he was the only one left.

Everything love the taste of chicken...

In addition to predators, my main problem is I live on a back road where the speed limit is 25 mph. Someone forgot to tell all my neighbors that and they drive on the road like it is a freeway. I've seen them bounce their cars in the air hitting the bumps in the road. Couldn't do that driving the speed limit... I'd lose all my flock to being road kill if I let them free range even though we have 35+ acres. So we're building a run that will be about 50' x 30' for 25 hens. No roo....yet. I don't know if hubs could handle the crowing (or the neighbors for that matter).

Post "'Burma Shave" signs, I keep thinking I should and our road is 35 MPH (not that everyone does it of course):
Don't

Potholes

?

Drive

25!

I say get the loudest, most obnoxious rooster you can find and when the neighbors complain, tell them you will get rid of the rooster when THEY stop destroying the road.

I got my first flock of chickens from a neighbor. They were all under 18 months old. She did not free range them. I started them in a run, with the intention of letting them free range once they had gotten used to us and our dogs got used to them. I think they were in the run for about 3 weeks. The run was quite spacious. During those 3 weeks I got a strong impression that animals should not be confined, even to a spacious run. It was a joyous day when they went free range! In the beginning it was for a few hours a day, as I stayed out with them and kept them "herded" to about 1/4 acre. After a few weeks I felt comfortable to let them out on their own for the entire day. Now they roam over about an acre; they choose to stay within that range.

I live in the woods of west central fl. We have a lot of predators, but our dogs have been super awesome. They have not had to confront a predator; their scent around the property and their barking have been enough so far. (except for the bears but that is another story and the bears only wanted the chicken feed, not the chickens)
I have lost chickens. If a chicken decides to sit on her eggs in the woods outside the coop and I can't find her at evening, she doesn't make it more than a few nights. I have lost a banshee and a game hen this way.

Between foraging, our chickens prefer to hang out in close proximity to us, which means our dogs have to share their space with chickens, chicken poop is everywhere, it is common to have hens perching on the steps and roosters on the porch yelling at us for treats.

I think the biggest drawback has been gardening. If the chickens like what is growing, they will find a way to eat it. If you are a gardener and free range your chickens, you will need to provide a secure run for your garden to keep predator chickens out.
D.gif
He he he. Yes. A secure run for my garden is a must...The chickens can go anywhere else.

Alot of cons. Predators. Here in central NY we have voracious weasels and big racoons! Plus neighbors dogs and feral cats.Also my flock would always end up in the road pissing all the neighbors off. Bunch of hillbillys in a hurry! Plus last year free ranging chickens nibbled 2 hostas down to nothing,dined on all 18 of my tomato plants (which I thought would be poisonous seeing that they are in the nightshade family) and quite a few zucchini and winter squashes Not to mention 20ft of snowpeas that were fenced in.. I invested $250 in 200ft of 4ft high welded wire fencing and 5ft high metal t-posts from Lowe's.this way I have a large enclosed lot so the chickens can sorta free range but with peace of mind. This is in addition to a coop and attached run. This way I have 3 separate zones where I can introduce new chickens to the flock easier. If your not using fencing make sure you have one big mean rooster for protection. SMITTY

I recently bought some bird netting from Lowes. It's pretty cheap, and I just prop it up around the plants I don't want the chickens eating. It's one way of keeping them out of the garden. This evening I went out to weed a space I want to start planting. My three older girls came over to "help." I pulled the weeds and they dove in to get the centipedes and other crawlies that were hiding. I loved having them out helping me!
love.gif

It all has to do with your area and level of predators. I've been free-ranging several years, and strangely enough, the only predator that has ever killed my chickens was one that tried to get into the coop. :idunno

For me the only con was I needed more fencing than I thought... Chickens are sneaky.

Pros:
Less feed consumed.
Healthier chickens.
Insect population lowered.
Higher nutrition in eggs.
Less work needed on the coop. (You don't need a run if your birds are free-ranged. Plus you don't need as much space in the coop, since they're let out in the daytime and only sleep in it.)

And I've never had problems with diseases due to this. The idea that chickens are better off in confinement rather than having the ability to build up immunity outside is rather puzzling.

I am a proud parent of 8 chickens. I just love them and I let them roam around the yard and notice that these chickens just love to be under a certain tree. Digging for insects and such. The only danger is that there are two wild cats that creep around. I just usually keep a very close eye on them.

One can accomplish all the "pros" to free ranging while keeping them contained PLUS having them live a potential longer life AND not put up with the other "cons" that come with ranging fowl......one just has to think outside the box, work a tad harder, not attribute human emotions to fowl and dismiss romantic isms and fantasies.

I've raised fowl both ways. Nutrition is definitly better, when contained if fed correctly. Experience has shown me production is better if contained. Meat is better flavored if contained and fed right, the egg can be just as healthy as a free ranged egg bird too, and feather condition and even cleanliness is better if raised correctly when contained. You have better control of all aspects of the birds life. Which in some instances is preferable to just letting them run loose..

I free range my flock, I think it is healthier for them most of the time. I do have a resident eagle who is nasty. He has killed two of my roosters and one hen. I am considering using a chicken tractor which would give the best of both worlds. :)

Back
Top Bottom