Free ranging pros and cons?

GREAT NEWS! Grammi!! I bet they make it back...
wee.gif

I APOLOGIZE If my post sounded confrontational? As though You HAD to explain your situation. NOT MY INTENT!
duc.gif

Passing on stories I have heard from a local town chicken person & heard from grumpy folks when a Roo is heard in the ngbrhood, WAY BACK WHEN!
old.gif

Free range as much as possible if you're able!! So good for the chickens, your yard and eggs!!! I however haven't been able to in awhile bc of the hawks! They've been circling my house! So if it's safe and you're able to defiantly free ranging is the way to go!

I have a question? I have 8 week old chicks. Here's a picture of our coop. We started out with a purchased coop from Tractor Supply, then lifted it up on a platform, added a run with a roof and used hardware cloth to fence it all in.
My problem is that now the chicks don't go up into the coop. I thought they would naturally want to go up there and roost, but they don't. They huddle all together on the ground. Tonight, I even put some of them up there, but they still didn't roost. They just huddled together.
Any ideas as to what I should do? My original plan was to hope they'd all go up the ladder each night and then I could close the door, and they'd be that much safer, but that's not what they're doing. Are they just too young?
I have Langshans and red pullets, and z3 Cornish Rock meat birds.

e

Also, my real question, if I'm going to let them out to free range, what minimum age should they be before I start? I'm just thinking of letting them out an hour or so before sunset, when I can be out with them, but since they're not going up into the small coop from the run, I'm worried they won't go back into the run when they should either. And should I clip their wings before I let them out, just in case I need to catch and return them?
Sorry, that's a lot more than one question? Isn't it? Lol
Only put feed and water in the top where they need to go that's what I did mine

IMO, a coop is a butcher's room; once a critter gets in, MANY chickens will be killed or at least injured.
In 5-6-7 yrs, I have only, in the last 18 mo., lost 2 Older hens AND A Roo that Religiously set on the back porch instead of the tree, where everyone set.
idunno.gif

After Senior Roo-roo was gone, they all moved to a taller tree, CAN'T call them stupid.
D.gif
I'm also faster to let out the dogs! They take dust baths wherever, really appreciate not having the cost of that worry. I do have acreage though.
Originally, They were penned for long enough to get their adult feathers, keep themselves warm, then loose all the time. We had HUNDREDS of grasshoppers the first year I was here and why I chose Chickens. The eggs were only realized when someone mentioned it. Silly me.
th.gif

The yolks are YELLOW and when NOT refrigerated, last longer.
I may be set in my ways but I'm home & more laid back, than most?
Oh, yeah. My Cats run for the hills when the chickens even look their way so, despite claims otherwise, Not a prob. THESE guys, they Do get out of the way of!

Last edited:
Pros: in my experience... better feather quality, less pecking/fighting, chickens live a more natural life eating bugs and grass, rich tasting eggs, less commercial feed.

Cons: occasionally something will get a bird but I have dogs that keep predators at bay. ..if only by their presence. Eggs get laid in grass and get lost. Very hard on gardens and some bedding plants.

I have 3 bachelor roosters that are always loose. I only lost one to...something, about 2 years ago. They voluntarily roost in the main part of the barn. The dogs each killed a chicken early on but completely leave them alone now. I have a large run but I do let them out into the yard. They come to their coop at night on their own and I shut the door.

I think it depends on the level of predators in your area. And I wouldn't let them loose until they're a few months old so they aren't quite as small...and so they know where home is.

Last edited:
Pros: in my experience... better feather quality, less pecking/fighting, chickens live a more natural life eating bugs and grass, rich tasting eggs, less commercial feed.

Cons: occasionally something will get a bird but I have dogs that keep predators at bay. ..if only by their presence. Eggs get laid in grass and get lost. Very hard on gardens and some bedding plants.

I have 3 bachelor roosters that are always loose. I only lost one to...something, about 2 years ago. They voluntarily roost in the main part of the barn. The dogs each killed a chicken early on but completely leave them alone now. I have a large run but I do let them out into the yard. They come to their coop at night on their own and I shut the door.

I think it depends on the level of predators in your area. And I wouldn't let them loose until they're a few months old so they aren't quite as small...and so they know where home is.

Oops, thanks Marli, I forgot about laying. My now gone older hens kind of taught the younger girls to lay in the small cat carrier lined with straw, have been for a while.Don't know how that came about originally. I HAVE HAD to hike around, when it gets too hot for them inside......Course my DR may have whispered in their ears about me needing exercise also....
tongue.png
lol.png
HINT, if you leave them cooped UNTIL they lay, they will leaner to lay there and ONLY there. Old Farmer's trick..

Back
Top Bottom