Free Ranging Silkies

Spangled

Songster
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
Serenity Valley
My first Silkies (3) started free ranging yesterday. They are with a flock of 10+ chicks the same age. They were all raised together. They are around 6-8 weeks old. I've had free-ranging chicks and chickens for a number of years with no real trouble.

Why is stupid for me to be free ranging my 3 Silkies? Or maybe you'd rather tell me why it's a good idea to free range my Silkies. These are my first Silkies. Just looking for opinions, stories, cautions, encouragement, issues with Silkies, etc.

One thing, I know, they respond to the warning chirp of other chickens by running to the coop for cover. So that won't be an issue.

well since silkies are one of the more docile breeds and the feathers covering there eyes tey are very easy prey for a hawk or coon (but its good they know that warning cluck)

feathers covering there eyes they are very easy prey for a hawk or coon

It's okay to trim their "bangs" (fringes, UK) for safety, right? I think some Polish owners do that so that the birds' vision is less obstructed. We've been pretty lucky in the hawk and coon department over the years, so my fingers will continue to stay crossed on that issue.

My silkies were so cautious and always safe. They knew where to go, what to do.

And they loved being free.

Free range!!

Mine seem cautious, too. And they like eating a bit of grass. My chicks seem to move pretty quickly, too, unlike the YouTube videos I watched of adult Silkies. So I'm happy about that. But maybe it's because they haven't grown their poofs completely yet.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your answers. I feel a little better about free ranging them now. They get along well with the other chicks and I'd hate to have to separate them and put them into a limiting tractor if they can do well roaming the backyard, with an occasional trip to an adjacent field.

well since silkies are one of the more docile breeds and the feathers covering there eyes tey are very easy prey for a hawk or coon (but its good they know that warning cluck)
If and when a hawk appears, they will be the most likely targets, but that is a risk we all take when we free range. We weigh the benefits against the risks and take our chances.

We weigh the benefits against the risks and take our chances.

Yes. Exactly. Additionally, Quality of Life rates pretty high. We have a low predation rate, and based on how they act right now, they are doing great free ranging and are enjoying themselves livin' the good life, though they do seem to be the most cautious. Plenty of trees and shrubs/bushes.

I have a little white silkie roo and he free ranges with all of the other chickens. They have a large area to range with lots of cover to hide under if necessary. So far, so good. He isn't a show chicken so he doesn't have any bangs to cut....the feathers on top of his head all go backward.

All mine free range together. I've lost several birds to hawks and raccoons unfortunately, but never a silkie. They seem to know they are at a disadvantage and stick closer to the coop and/or cover.

Back
Top Bottom