Free roaming chicken wants to sleep in our house?

Shirt

Hatching
Jun 2, 2021
Hello BYC!

Just now, my mother and I witnessed quite the peculiar event: one of our 3 year old Seramas flew into our house, perched on the kitchen counter, and slowly fell asleep. Now our chickens are free roamers, and never really enter our house, which is why this struck us as odd.

This particular chicken usually sleeps in the coop, although she sometimes favours the trees. She's not afraid of us, but isn't particularly fond of cuddles either. Her behaviour hasn't been out of the ordinary either, except for the fact that she's been walking into our house through the open doors the past few days, along with our rooster.

Today felt odd, however. She entered the house through the same doors, this time alone, while the rooster went to sleep on a bench. It seemed like she was looking for something, so we opened the dividing door to check, prompting her to fly into the kitchen and onto the countertop. She seemed completely fine, she ate and drank, but still appeared to be looking for something. After a while, she laid down on the counter and promptly fell asleep.

Now maybe I am overthinking this, and she just felt adventurous today. However I do wonder if chickens seek out humans whenever they're sick, or maybe scared? Could she be stressed out or ill? Any insight is very much appreciated!

20210614_215310.jpg

Hello BYC!

Just now, my mother and I witnessed quite the peculiar event: one of our 3 year old Seramas flew into our house, perched on the kitchen counter, and slowly fell asleep. Now our chickens are free roamers, and never really enter our house, which is why this struck us as odd.

This particular chicken usually sleeps in the coop, although she sometimes favours the trees. She's not afraid of us, but isn't particularly fond of cuddles either. Her behaviour hasn't been out of the ordinary either, except for the fact that she's been walking into our house through the open doors the past few days, along with our rooster.

Today felt odd, however. She entered the house through the same doors, this time alone, while the rooster went to sleep on a bench. It seemed like she was looking for something, so we opened the dividing door to check, prompting her to fly into the kitchen and onto the countertop. She seemed completely fine, she ate and drank, but still appeared to be looking for something. After a while, she laid down on the counter and promptly fell asleep.

Now maybe I am overthinking this, and she just felt adventurous today. However I do wonder if chickens seek out humans whenever they're sick, or maybe scared? Could she be stressed out or ill? Any insight is very much appreciated!

View attachment 2718411
Has she been acting normal besides the fact she wants to sleep on your kitchen counter and looks like she’s looking for something?

Has she been acting normal besides the fact she wants to sleep on your kitchen counter and looks like she’s looking for something?
She has, I haven't noticed any other odd behaviour at all. She'd been going about her day as usual today, and I haven't heard her panicking either. Though it's always possible something spooked her and we just happened to miss it...

She has, I haven't noticed any other odd behaviour at all. She'd been going about her day as usual today, and I haven't heard her panicking either. Though it's always possible something spooked her and we just happened to miss it...
Where are you located? Location is helpful. Lots of states are going through a heatwave right now and chickens get super hot. Depending if your area is also very hot, she could probably just be hot so wants to come inside to cool down a little, and the other chickens have yet to noticed how delightful it was inside the house.

Where are you located? Location is helpful. Lots of states are going through a heatwave right now and chickens get super hot. Depending if your area is also very hot, she could probably just be hot so wants to come inside to cool down a little, and the other chickens have yet to noticed how delightful it was inside the house.
I'm in the Netherlands, it's not too hot at night but it was quite warm during the day. Perhaps she decided she liked the stable temperature of the house more 😂 Also thank you for your replies!! :)

Back
Top Bottom