Free seeds ( 100 plus different ones)

Funny, I've had "issues" with this. The people at the National Plant Germplasm System seem to be convinced that they are there to serve researchers only and meager, humble taxpaying gardeners are not generally welcome to access their bounty.

I've asked for some particular seeds to experiment with in a greenhouse environment and was basically told that they do not serve the hobbyist. In fact, the letter I got stated that future requests from me would be "closely examined." How about that... the Seed Police - courtesy of the USDA.

So I'm testing their scrutiny, yet again.

Last edited:
I know I put this link up for people to try to get free seeds. And alot , if not most are getting at least some if not all seeds they requested.

I know some have trouble getting the seeds ,and thats unfortunate, but please dont make remarks like this on here.Me beeing German, I heard enough of Gestapo, Nazi and SS scrapp to last me a lifetime.
I dont mean to be a whiney woman but if you knew what this really stands for , you wouldnt throw the words around like its a joke.

Petra

Quote:
Okay, Petra. Fair enough. Bitte, sie haben meine aufrichtige entschuldigung.

For what it's worth, I know what the Gestapo, Schuetz Staffel, Folks Polizei and the many other organizations of the NSDAP stood for. I have many friends in Germany, and have lived and visited widely there. Most of the Germans I know today no longer dwell on these things, and in fact they are only rarely impressed by them, when used lightly, as I have here...
The times have at last changed, I believe. For most, the time has come to let things go. Something to consider.

However, out of deference and respect, corrections have been made to the words, while retaining the spirit.

Last edited:
Quote:

For what it's worth, I know what the Gestapo, Schuetz Staffel, Folks Polizei and the many other organizations of the NSDAP stood for. I have many friends in Germany, and have lived and visited widely there. Most of the Germans I know today no longer dwell on these things, and in fact they are only rarely impressed by them, when used lightly, as I have here...
The times have at last changed, I believe. For most, the time has come to let things go. Something to consider.
However, out of deference and respect, corrections have been made to the words, while retaining the spirit.

Die Entschuldigung nehme Ich an
smile.png
Vielen Dank .. war aber nicht noetig
smile.png

Fair enough davaroo.. The thing is ,tho.. since I came over here I hear it all the time from people around this region.. " aahh a german .. you must be a nazi .. etc etc.. the list goes on.The ignorance sometimes really is astounding to me. I just get tired of it. And maybe I shouldnt even have mentioned it but .. you know..its gets old ..
smile.png

I know you didnt mean no harm..I wasnt offended.Its just when you hear it so much.. eventually you just have to say something.I dont dwell on the whole subject either, I think it just rubbed me the wrong way tonight for some reason.

And I appreciate that you threw in a little german in there (in the sentence you used it should be "aufrichtigste ". Your little german lesson for tonight ..
smile.png

Petra

Quote:

Die Entschuldigung nehme Ich an
smile.png
Vielen Dank .. war aber nicht noetig
smile.png

Fair enough davaroo.. The thing is ,tho.. since I came over here I hear it all the time from people around this region.. " aahh a german .. you must be a nazi .. etc etc.. the list goes on.The ignorance sometimes really is astounding to me. I just get tired of it. And maybe I shouldnt even have mentioned it but .. you know..its gets old ..
smile.png

I know you didnt mean no harm..I wasnt offended.Its just when you hear it so much.. eventually you just have to say something.I dont dwell on the whole subject either, I think it just rubbed me the wrong way tonight for some reason.

And I appreciate that you threw in a little german in there (in the sentence you used it should be "aufrichtigste ". Your little german lesson for tonight ..
smile.png

Petra

Well, German was never my strong suit. I can usually manage a beer and some lunch, which is usually good enough.

We learn by doing, by risking. If we make a mistake, we make good on it and move on...wiser.

Vielen Dank fur deine Verstaendnis. Tschuess!

Oh thank you for listing got some seeds! I got hung upon the squash section since tomato section seems to be closed
sad.png
Also got a letter saying not for home gardners. If only they saw my plots of tomato trials. I am a heirloom freek on tomatoes. Oh well will give it a try for some other goodies. Some came from Rutgers so was very happy to see that.

ML

If this is not for home gardeners. Is there a way around them not knowing that is just what you are..

Im looking at the site. And am trying to figure out what I would like to get. And what to say to them when getting the seeds/plants..

Thank you for the site. At least there is a possibility of getting some free stuff. Does it work better if you only request one type at a time. Like blueberries one time. And strawberrys the next. Making it look like you are doing a study on each type..

Do they send the packages by regular mail or a UPS type service. How many have just used Post office boxes. That is what I have, the USPS does not ship to my physical address..

Thank you for this helpful information..

ETA

How can you tell if any of them are a heirloom variety.. And how do you know if the variety will breed true if you save your own seeds..

Last edited:
Heres a different page to search the seeds on.. It seems a bit easier..

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/pvplist.pl?

When you click on the varietys on this page. It will give you some numbers. Its like the upc code for the plants. And when you click on those it will give you a list of the plants. Then at the far right it will say availiale or unavailable. Even if it is unavailiable, if you click on the word it will some times say it is still availialbe from the donar of the plant. Most likely you will have to pay for them then???

Good luck on free seeds every one..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom