Freedom Rangers

Weights of FR and Master Grey at 28 days old.

Freedom Rangers:

1- 840 g / 1 lb 13 oz
2- 840 g / 1 lb 13 oz
3- 840 g / 1 lb 13 oz
4- 860 g / 1 lb 14 oz
5- 840 g / 1 lb 13 oz

Master Grey

1- 840 g / 1 lb 13 oz
2- 720 g / 1 lb 9 oz
3- 760 g / 1 lb 10 oz
4- 720 g / 1 lb 9 oz
5- 790 g / 1 lb 11 oz

I think they are good weights, but I see other people's weights to compare

Nobody is interested on this topic?

if you have FR hens, you can breed the Barred Rocks rooster, Australorp or Jersey Giant rooster. I was thinking of Jersey Giant rooster + FR hen; might up the timeframe of growth since JGs are too long to grow.
I have done that with a Jersey Giant rooster. They did grow quicker but it was still slow and not worth doing again. I will be breeding a third generation flock soon of my Rangers, this is my attempt to raise a 16 week and out meat bird flock.

I just received my FR order from FR hatchery. I ordered 25, they sent 28 and 27 made the trip are are doing great!. Strong little buggers. I am going to grow out some to breeding age and give hatching my own a try.

Here are some photos of chicks from a Freedom Rangers X with Sulmtaler Rooster. These chunky monkeys hatched 1/27 so they are 12 weeks old in this photos. You can see them next to Cream Legbars and Orpingtons of the same age in a couple of the photos.

I ordered 25 Freedom Rangers from Freedom Ranger Hatchery. They were very generous and sent me 28. 27 survived the trip. I have been really pleased with their vigor. The chicks are now 4 weeks old and the size difference among the chicks is phenomenal. Some are huge and some fairly small. There is one chick that is still the size of a 1 week old chick. I think it will need to be culled as it does not seem to be maturing at all.

Have other people seen a variance in size?

I ordered 25 Freedom Rangers from Freedom Ranger Hatchery. They were very generous and sent me 28. 27 survived the trip. I have been really pleased with their vigor. The chicks are now 4 weeks old and the size difference among the chicks is phenomenal. Some are huge and some fairly small. There is one chick that is still the size of a 1 week old chick. I think it will need to be culled as it does not seem to be maturing at all.

Have other people seen a variance in size?
I have. I ordered 50 of them - 25 black, 25 red. The black ones were dropping like flies the first few days. They hatched April 30, they arrived here on May 2. I lost 3 that first night, then one a day for the next 5 days. The reds have been much better. I did lose one red the other day. Like your little one, it just didn't seem to be growing. It was noticeably smaller than the rest. The surviving black ones seem to be close in size, but the reds are varied. I was thinking it was the difference between cockerels and pullets?

I have. I ordered 50 of them - 25 black, 25 red. The black ones were dropping like flies the first few days. They hatched April 30, they arrived here on May 2. I lost 3 that first night, then one a day for the next 5 days. The reds have been much better. I did lose one red the other day. Like your little one, it just didn't seem to be growing. It was noticeably smaller than the rest. The surviving black ones seem to be close in size, but the reds are varied. I was thinking it was the difference between cockerels and pullets?
Mine are 5 weeks old now and most the roosters are fairly obvious and even among the rooster the is a significant size variance. I am planning to keep a couple as breeders and I think I will keep the medium sized ones. I tried keeping a large one last year and his legs bowed before he was mature enough to breed.

It interesting to here that the black strain seems weaker than the Tri colours,Redbro's, and Yellow strains. That's something I would not expect that... Interesting I have an Idea what's going on with that black strain but don't want to say for sure

Back
Top Bottom