Freeze free nipple training

Zud

Songster
Jan 1, 2020
New York City
So we've been using water cups on a 5 gallon bucket to water our flock since we got them in May, but after running a kettle out to melt the water several times a day during the cold snap, I decided to switch to the freeze free nipples and throw a de-icer in the bucket. The problem is that the girls don't seem to have figured out how hard they need to pick at the nipples to release the water. They get the concept of pecking at it, but not the right spot or with enough force.

They're rushing to melting ice puddles when they're free ranging, leading me to believe they aren't getting enough water from their waterer. (I've been putting a dish out when they're free ranging to supplement this issue in the short term).

Our work schedules don't allow for us to reliably be able to deliver fresh unfrozen water during most days. I've considered switching to a heated dog bowl, but I don't want to get them used to this come spring. We also keep bees and the hives are only about 30 feet from the run. I don't want the bees to be attracted to an open water source there. I was hoping to get the girls on the nipples and off the water cups for the same reason.

Does any one have tips on getting them to use this specific style nipple?
167226093034857271194538377399.jpg

It takes time...and best to train during mild temps.
Access to another water source will slow the training.
x2. This isn't a good time to do it, unfortunately. I'd do the dog bowl for now and work on nipple training either on weekends, holidays, or later in when weather warms up a bit so there's less risk of them getting dehydrated.

My birds have never taken more than an hour or 2 to figure it out. However, I have never changed them to nipples in hot or cold weather, just in case they have issues. Mine have been using nipples but they'd go crazy over a dish of water. Drinking from a dish is easier so they'd prefer that.

Thank you all. Seems like time and diligence is the way to go. Temps are above freezing here for a bit and I'm still off for the holiday so I may just sit with them locked in the run and work on it instead of letting them out and seeing what progress can be made. If we hit another cold snap I'll reassess.

Thank you all. Seems like time and diligence is the way to go. Temps are above freezing here for a bit and I'm still off for the holiday so I may just sit with them locked in the run and work on it instead of letting them out and seeing what progress can be made. If we hit another cold snap I'll reassess.
We went with HN from early on. I have read many posts on chickens not drinking as much when HN are used. It makes sense to carefully gauge how much disappears each day. That will give you a better sense as to how much they really are drinking.

I have read many posts on chickens not drinking as much when HN are used.
I think many make this conclusion with no real 'proof'.
My proclivity is to measure many things(engineering background),
one thing was/is the amount of water I give daily.
There was a decrease when I first started using nipples, but it pretty quickly increased to my observed 'normal' once they all got the hang of the HN's.
Of course they will drink from other water sources when available,
I notice a decline in the waterer quantities when it rains or snows.

Hi all:

This is a tough one. I was/ am in the same boat. I used a cup version and would freeze so i switched over to the same nipple design you did and saw a similar issue where the hens seemed that they were not getting enough water so since it is cold in my area or the twenties, and sometimes single digits I switched over to a waterer bowl, waterer channel with a heater pan underneath for the winter months. Seems to be the best solution for me and the ladies for now. Cheers.

Of course they will drink from other water sources when available,
I notice a decline in the waterer quantities when it rains or snows.
I have such a huge decline during rain or snow that the water level pretty much stays steady in those conditions (which is a huge help if the lid freezes onto the waterer). Many chickens enjoy snacking on snow and ice, and in the case of rain, the brooder which my birds use for rain shelter has horizontal grooves in the metal roof that hold onto water, so the birds simply drink the water from the roof.

Back
Top Bottom