freezing eggs???

maransfan16

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2012
southwest kentucky
my mom has seen somewhere that you can freeze eggs to store them and you can thaw them out when you need them thought i'd get everyone opinion on this before i let her try her "test it out" on my precious eggs what do you think

This freezing egg talks reminded of a funny story a friend of mine told me years ago. She mistakenly put the eggs in the freezer, instead of the fridge. But she admitted she knew nothing about food and cooking and storing food etc. One day she had a new BF come round to visit and she decided to cook him some eggs. And found the eggs frozen solid. That didn't deter her. She somehow managed to get the shells off and dropped them in the frying pan and spooned hot oil over them, trying to thaw them and cook them. That didn't work very well... For some reason she decided to feed them to the BF like that, cooked slightly round the outside and still quite frozen inside. And sat and watched the poor guy trying to eat them and probably wondering why the eggs kept scooting off the plate when he tried to cut them!

Believe it or not she ended up marrying this guy, but I guess it's safe to say he didn't marry her for her cooking skills!

lau.gif

My coop is running around zero degrees fahrenheit, give or take 10-20 degrees. If I don't harvest the eggs within a couple hours of being laid, they do freeze. As long as the shells are intact, it doesn't seem to hurt them, but I'm finding that quite often, the shells split and crack when they freeze. Water expands when it freezes, and since the contents are mostly water, there's a good chance the shells might crack from the pressure. The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes when they've frozen, the yolks gel and aren't runny when they thaw out. They still work as hard boiled eggs, but if you like your fried eggs with hard whites and runny yolks, they won't work for that, and they don't scramble well.

The cracked ones I boil and chop, shells and all, and feed back to the chickens. They love it.

Some of them remain intact, even though they're pretty cold. Don't know if it's because I caught them early enough, or because they just have somewhat more flexible shells.

As Frostbite was saying many of our eggs if left to freeze crack the shell. Mine that are cracked just get tossed into the compost and all intact, frozen or not are put in my egg basket in kitchen.

I do know of people who freeze eggs. They use ice cube trays, break out the amount needed for recipe.

Quote:
I won't tell you your chickens will love you more if you do this, (hard to know how much thinking their reptilian brains are capable of) but they'd probably enjoy eating those compost eggs! The protein and calcium is good for them. Just chop them fine so they don't recognize them as the eggs they just laid; don't want to give them any ideas...

LOL @ Sumi! I have found eggs to get quite rubbery when frozen, and the shells do crack. I have a heat lamp in my coop in a feeble attempt to keep the coop above freezing & collect a few times a day. I never knew you could intentionally freeze eggs. Maybe if scrambled? Definitely feed your broken, frozen, compost eggs back to the chickens! My whole coop goes into frenzy over all treats, but the eggs are really good for them. Now what about boiling eggs? Probably a thread for that... But I've tried everything and still have badly peeled eggs!

Back
Top Bottom