Freezing hard boiled eggs out of the shell

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Has anyone tried freezing your hard boiled eggs out of their shell? I tried it and they were okay, but the whites were a little leathery.

I put them in a small Tupperware container, but I'm thinking of wrapping them in plastic wrap to protect them from frozen water next time.

The yolks came out great.

Any suggestions? I heard not to freeze in the shell, may explode.

Any suggestions? I heard not to freeze in the shell, may explode.
I can't see how a hard boiled egg would explode - it's a solid..it may expand a bit and crack the shell, but it's not like a liquid where it will crack and leak or spray. Never tried though.

I can't see how a hard boiled egg would explode - it's a solid..it may expand a bit and crack the shell, but it's not like a liquid where it will crack and leak or spray. Never tried though.
Since I have so many eggs I think I'll try freezing in the shell. Haven't gotten any answers on how to pack or freeze out of the shell yet, hoping someone has ideas that work.

Since I have so many eggs I think I'll try freezing in the shell. Haven't gotten any answers on how to pack or freeze out of the shell yet, hoping someone has ideas that work.

Let us know how it works out. I would think that freezing them in the shell or some other form of protection (plastic wrap or air tight container) would help prevent the whites from becoming leathery....

I may have to experiment now. I hadn't thought about freezing hard boiled eggs until now.

1. It's best not to freeze hard-boiled whole eggs and hard-boiled whites because they become tough and watery when frozen. To use frozen eggs. In a home freezer, you can freeze eggs for up to one year. When you're ready to use frozen eggs, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water.
    Incredible Edible Egg | Eggs | freezing eggs

www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/f/freezing-eggs

I tried one and it didn't explode, but did crack..Let you know how it tastes soon. Thank you for your input.

Let us know how it works out. I would think that freezing them in the shell or some other form of protection (plastic wrap or air tight container) would help prevent the whites from becoming leathery....

I may have to experiment now. I hadn't thought about freezing hard boiled eggs until now.
I froze a hard boiled egg in the shell and one without the shell. The one in the shell cracked, but was still whole. The yolk was good, the white was leatherly and tough.
The one without the shell the yolk was good the white was watery and leatherly.

So, I'm not going to freeze hard boiled eggs, but will crack them, blend them and freeze in jars, muffin pans or ice trays, then bag them up.

Back
Top Bottom