Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

I too leave the door open 24/7.

They decide, it's rarely unanimous.

Some stay in, some venture out.

Even happens on days that I won't venture out...

Funny, I'll be running out to make sure they're ok, and they'll be looking at me like I'm crazy...

I kept them in yesterday when it was really bitterly cold, but today I opened the coop. It's snowing today, but a bit warmer so I figured I'd give them the option for some fresh air. One of them walked out down their ramp, got about half way, then turned around and ran back inside lol. I just don't want them to get frost bite or anything, but I put their food and water inside the coop so they don't have to go outside in the cold snow if they don't want to.

Another photo, this time from last spring. Often chickens really hate snow the first time they see it but after a few days many will go out in it. I’ve had chickens go out and forage in 9” of snow, but that was after they stayed in the coop for a couple of days before one got up the courage to try walking on that strange white stuff. Waking up to a strange white world can be unsettling.

This case was different. It snowed during the day when they were already outside. Since the change was while they were outside in it, they never bothered to go in. It snowed about an inch in an hour.

When you are worrying about frostbite from chickens walking in snow, think of all those miserable wild birds you see walking in snow.

I have two small flocks both have a coop and a run.... 1 set of girls always go outside!!! Even if they are just in the run they beg to free range every morning! The other set are "home bodies" and only come out for food or treats. I guess the chickens know best!!!

I agree with everyone else- if you can leave the door open, they will decide to come out or stay in. My barred rock hens have been outside when the temps were below 0 with a -24 windchill scratching around in the yard. Other days, especially if it is snowing really bad, they will stay in. Leave it up to them.

Keep frostbite at bay by applying a layer of bag balm or Vaseline to their combs and wattles. Also important and also overlooked is keeping feet and shanks moist. (Again, apply BB or Vaseline) Feet that are not moist can crack. Open cuts invite bacteria and may lead to infection and the dreaded bumblefoot. In my experience, as long as combs and wattles are protected, let them play outside. They will let you know if it's too cold by staying in the coop!

Last edited:
am I correct that none of you in these cold temperatures are running heat lamps in the coop itself? I am also in New Hampshire and we're headed to below 0 temps tomorrow and tomorrow night but I'm just wondering if I should put a little extra heat in there for them on these evenings where it gets super cold? My flock have not had heat since they were checks in the spring as I wanted them to acclimate to the NH winters. I just don't know how cold is too cold. Thanks all!

People may disagree with me but I add a little heat when temps dip into the teens. I LOVE the heat lamps with the caged fronts and durable plastic. (Premiere 1 sheep supply) they are the safest lamp I have found hands down. All my flocks (bantam & SF)are all given a little heat and they are all productive and active. I know some disagree but it works for my flock.. I also check on them 8.000 time a day! (Ok, I may be exaggerating a tad):/

Last edited:
This is my first winter with chickens, but so far I haven't added a heat lamp or other source of heat. I've set up my coop/run so they can go in and out to the run as they please, but only into the yard if I'm home (many many things like to each Chicken where I live). The run has a cover to keep some of the snow out. My RIR has a little frostbite on her comb - the rest of the girls (2 Lorps and 3 EEs are fine). The Lorps have the same size comb as the RIR, so I don't know why she got some - and that was at 20 degrees, not negative. Still, I don't heat, but I do use Waxelene (like Vasolene but made of beeswax, I got at CVS) instead of vasolene, I like it better and it's non-petroleum based (personal preference). I feel really bad that the RIR has a bit of frost bite, but she's a champ, and won't stay IN no matter what--> they LOVE exploring even in snow and cold.

Back
Top Bottom