Freezing temps - should I keep chickens in coop?

I feed layer crumbles mixed with some oats and BOSS, and I just make sure they always have some available in their run. They also get snacks of scrambled eggs and warm oatmeal more often. They have a pasture to forage in during the day, but once the grass is gone, they will get greens in their run (cabbage, kale, etc).

We have a cold front coming in and it's going to be way below freezing all week.  I hate keeping them cooped up, but I'm worried about them getting frostbite or worse.  Should I kepe them in the coop until it warms up?  It will be back into the 20's by Friday, so it would just be for a few days.  Thanks!

The little door is always open . Mine go out when they want. Some choose to stay out even to the point of getting frostbite. Some of the cocks lose part of their comb but it doesn't seem to other them in any way.
I also like feeding them more corn in cooler weather.
Talking about cooler weather..... It's -30*C here(that's -20*F for you people south of the border) and since we are at the south end of a 30 mile long opening(1/3 of it man made) and the North wind is howling at us about 30-40kms/hr, with the wind chill that's killer. But the coop is nice and warm.
But them crazy ducks and geese...... ...they don't even go in their house.

Wisconsin here as well, the schools have been closed this week due to the wind chill and yes it is cold! I don't and won't heat my coop, as many have said before me, they will acclimate to the weather. I believe that adding heat is a huge mistake, chickens won't feather out for cold temperatures if they are always kept warm, two words, power outage - enough said. I have a huge coop and I do keep the door closed on frigid days but anything above zero my flock is outside, for a while anyway. Stay warm fellow Wisconsinites, this too shall pass. Go Pack Go!

People may disagree with me but I add a little heat when temps dip into the teens. I LOVE the heat lamps with the caged fronts and durable plastic. (Premiere 1 sheep supply) they are the safest lamp I have found hands down. IMO flocks are all given a little heat and they are all productive and active. I know some disagree but it works for my flock.. I also check on them 8.000 time a day! (Ok, I may be exaggerating a tad)
hmm.png

Cedar, Do what makes you happy. I don't do it and the coop is most always 20 deg warmer than outside temp. They are wearing down coats remember. I do have a warmer for the water in the coop. so that makes a difference. I have a automatic pop door so they come and go as they please. I give plenty of Protein [ Treats ] in winter and Apple Cider Vinegar in water. I enjoy Chicken TV !!!

I was going to heat my small coop last month, even went to Tractor Supply to investigate. That night we lost power for 6 hours, we rarely lose power. A branch had fallen on the line, freak accident. Decided that night that having my girls in a heated coop was a bad idea, could lose power anytime. It's going to be -15 tonight and they are doing great.
I met a guy in Chicago this summer and he barely covers his coop in the winter, it is pretty open to the elements and has never lost a bird.
Plus I also noticed the Cardinals and Sparrows in the bushes next to my coop and they seem to be doing alright.

We also add heat for our ladies, but not inside the coop per se... We have a raised coop that opens out into a covered run. Underneath the coop is a large sandbox. The outside of the sandbox area is surrounded by hardware cloth and window sashes. It is also partially enclosed on the side that is inside the run. Basically it is almost entirely closed in with maybe a 2 ft wide by 4 ft tall opening. We have a heat lamp securely bolted to the underside of the coop to heat up the sand so it does not freeze. (Never just rely on the clamp for a heat lamp). The heat keeps the sand slightly warm, keeps the outdoor waterer from freezing, and also sends the heat directly up to the coop floor. This means that temperatures in the coop hover in the 30s-40s while temperatures outside are in the 20s. This is perfect because the coop water and eggs won't freeze but the birds won't have to deal with a huge temperature differential, which can kill them if too extreme. Plus, then the girls get to choose whether they want to go into the sandbox or not. (And sand isn't going to light on fire.)

Another thing we do that they seem to like is cover the A-frame part of the run (and slightly below). There is a roost running the length of the run that is not exposed to any drafts because it is covered with plastic. They get to sit there outside without being in the snow and wind. They normally go inside when it gets dark, but I went out there tonight to shut the coop door and found them all huddled on the outdoor roost.

On super cold nights, I throw some scratch or meal worms in the coop. They will expend energy and generate heat scratching around for the food and the high carb or high protein snack makes their bodies burn more calories (and generate more heat) in digestion.

But more important than temperature as everyone says is humidity. We have a temperature and humidity tracker - our happy zone is between 40% and 60% humidity. If it's higher than 60% humidity and it's not raining, something is wrong. I clean out droppings nightly and make sure to keep my head inside the coop for a few minutes to ensure that I cannot smell any ammonia. Despite it's solid appearance, we have ventilation slits placed around the coop that air circulates without being drafty. So far, we've had no frost bite even when temps drop below freezing inside the coop (yes, it happens).

Pictures below are from before we covered the top and a bit of the run with plastic to block rain and wind. (And yes, that wire in the picture below was later secured.)

My seven hens pop door is always open to the run. Now that it is really cold, when I go out to see who might have left me an egg, I'll see them in the coop, and maybe in the run. Their water is in the coop this winter. It was in the run and when this winter is over it will go back out to the run. My run is protected from the wind and has a roof also. They spend most of the day back and forth it seems now.

I'm not worried about the cold. I have surreptitious, three guineas, and about 14 banties in the main coop. They free range. The Tom was the only one who wasn't bothered by the snow. Eventually all the turkeys and guineas came out. None of the banties though. Their choice.
I have put out shelled corn for the deer for years. I haven't yet though this winter. I am concerned about the chickens eating whole corn. Is this something I need to worry about, or should I just put out the corn?
I might get the wheel horse out tomorrow and clear away some snow for them...High of 12 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom