Fresh Eggs Gone Bad

NanaDebbie

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
We have fresh eggs from our chickens that we usually put in the frig after a couple of days. Three at the most. Our weather is fair on the west coast. I went to hard boil some eggs and several of our small Americauna eggs floated to the top. I decided to do a float test on all of our eggs thinking that perhaps its because some eggs are smaller. Out of all of the small eggs, only three didn't float. More than a dozen floated to the top. Do we have a bad chicken laying eggs? The eggs aren't old at all! All of our chickens appear to be healthy!

We have fresh eggs from our chickens that we usually put in the frig after a couple of days. Three at the most. Our weather is fair on the west coast. I went to hard boil some eggs and several of our small Americauna eggs floated to the top. I decided to do a float test on all of our eggs thinking that perhaps its because some eggs are smaller. Out of all of the small eggs, only three didn't float. More than a dozen floated to the top. Do we have a bad chicken laying eggs? The eggs aren't old at all! All of our chickens appear to be healthy!

Wow! That sounds strange. How often do you collect the eggs? Is it possible that a hen is setting on them before you collect them? Perhaps if there was a hen setting on them before you collected them and then you left them out on the counter for a few days, they may have started to incubate. I try to collect eggs twice a day, but I do leave mine out on the counter sometimes for several days before I refrigerate them and have never had this problem.

Currently we only have 4 egg layers. The rest will begin laying late Summer. We also do not have roosters.[/B][/B][/B] We do have a chicken who has been laying on some eggs but we replace them with plastic ones as soon as we can I collect eggs every few days tops! They then go right into the frig! If a chicken is laying on "unfertile" eggs for a couple days before we collect, could the warmth of the eggs cause them to go bad that quick?

Thanks for your advise! I went ahead and threw them out even though they didn't smell bad. Just to be on the safe side! It is strange though, that's for sure!

Since this brings it up, why is it you can leave eggs on the counter for so long? Why is it that you only need to refrigerate after you wash them? We collect a few times a day as our girls are Divas. So, we leave them on the counter for a couple days, wash, then refrigerate. They get eaten pretty quickly as my son and DIL come by to load up about once a week and we have quite a few egg eaters in our house.

But I was curious. Anyone with an answer?

Since this brings it up, why is it you can leave eggs on the counter for so long? Why is it that you only need to refrigerate after you wash them? We collect a few times a day as our girls are Divas. So, we leave them on the counter for a couple days, wash, then refrigerate. They get eaten pretty quickly as my son and DIL come by to load up about once a week and we have quite a few egg eaters in our house.

But I was curious. Anyone with an answer?

The bloom is a protective coating on the egg washing removes it.

Break your eggs in a bowl If they are bad your nose will tell you. I can't imagine that yours are bad!

We keep our eggs in a cool, shady spot on the counter for a week or more. If they're not eaten, they go to friends and neighbors who
are told to keep them the same for another week or so, then put them in the fridge. As long as they're in a cool spot, unwashed, I'm told they're good for a few weeks.

Currently we only have 4 egg layers. The rest will begin laying late Summer. We also do not have roosters.[/B][/B][/B] We do have a chicken who has been laying on some eggs but we replace them with plastic ones as soon as we can I collect eggs every few days tops! They then go right into the frig! If a chicken is laying on "unfertile" eggs for a couple days before we collect, could the warmth of the eggs cause them to go bad that quick?

You could always test them by putting in a pot of cold water. If the egg starts to float even a little then throw it out. As the egg begins to decompose it give off gas which causes it to float. A good egg will sit at the bottom and not float.

Back
Top Bottom