Fresh eggs with runny whites

i have been wondering about runny egg whites and a few eggs with very thin shells. All of my 6 buff orpington hens are 15 mo. old and I get 3 to 6 eggs every day. They free range in a small yard. They are fed a high quality feed with oyster shell in it and also have free access to oyster shell in a separate dish. They get a few small scoops of scratch scattered in my small mostly bricked city backyard. I also give them greens from the grocery and bread before bed. Some occasional fruit and kitchen leftovers which I check for on a list of people foods safe for chicks. Water is always available from 3 sources. I have no idea at this point of what to try next. The temperature has been in the 90s and will be until September. I have fans running inside their house and in the yard but it just circs the hot air. Is it the weather or what?

Stop giving them bread
If they eat too much other food they don't get enough grain protein. Try to find them a fresh cracked real grain feed instead of pellets or crumbles which is grain by products bran and floor sweepings and screenings.

Or give them more organic scratch and grit to be able to grind it up

when hens get old the eggs get runnier but yours should not be old yet.

i have been wondering about runny egg whites and a few eggs with very thin shells. All of my 6 buff orpington hens are 15 mo. old and I get 3 to 6 eggs every day. They free range in a small yard. They are fed a high quality feed with oyster shell in it and also have free access to oyster shell in a separate dish. They get a few small scoops of scratch scattered in my small mostly bricked city backyard. I also give them greens from the grocery and bread before bed. Some occasional fruit and kitchen leftovers which I check for on a list of people foods safe for chicks. Water is always available from 3 sources. I have no idea at this point of what to try next. The temperature has been in the 90s and will be until September. I have fans running inside their house and in the yard but it just circs the hot air. Is it the weather or what?
Exactly what feed?
What are the nutritive percentages of protein and calcium?
Oyster shell should not be mixed into feed, but only made available in a separate container.

All those other foods you are providing could be diluting the vitamins and minerals in the formulated feed that allow calcium to be properly absorbed. The heat could have be a factor also, they need deep shade and cool water......a pile of ice cubes dumped on the ground in the shade can help cool them off.

When problems arise it's best to go back to basics. A balanced poultry feed, plenty of clean plain water and cut out most if not all of the extras. They definitely don't need to be eating bread.

My egg whites are also runny but the eggs are fresh and the hens are not that old.
I wish I knew what to do about it.

I collect my eggs every evening, so none of them are old but the jumbo eggs have a lot of water in them - none of the other eggs do. It‘s nice weather so no eggs are frozen. It’s not really even the whites that are runny but extra water in the shell. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Back
Top Bottom