'Friend' Rant...

introverts are people who are weakened and overloaded by social energy.
extroverts are people who need and thrive on social energy.

add to that,people who are extroverts tend to be people whose brain functioning is dominated by the right hemisphere; this has associated traits which in a way fuels the extroversion.
people whose brain functioning is dominated by the left also have associated traits which fuels the introversion.

although may find her irritating because of her extroversion, that isnt a negative human trait of hers;it is because are introverted and incompatible with her.
find people with the same;or weaker level of introversion instead if are interested in having friends.

I am kind of having a conflict. My BEST FRIEND (important) likes to hug and hold hands, but i don't. It is kind of awkward for me, but i don't know what to do about it...

For the two posters with the "friend" problems (one a girl, one a boy), sit down with them and, in a calm manner, gently explain to them that your personalities are so different that it's just not going to be possible to be "best" friends. You can stay friendly, but you're much too quiet, and they would have more fun with people who are more outgoing like them. There certainly are plenty of them around.

Unfortunately, some people are like energy "vampires", sucking the life out of you if you let them. Needy and demanding, they can't see anyone else's needs but their own. If they're the kind who won't take it well because they *must* be liked by everyone, just explain that some like vanilla and some like chocolate. Then, wish them well.

I can appreciate what you're going through. I, too, am an introvert and, after a long day working in a school, must "recharge" by being alone. Otherwise, I'm just not fit to be around. It doesn't get any better with age, either.

Best of luck to you.

Also. RE: "My BEST FRIEND (important) likes to hug and hold hands, but i don't. It is kind of awkward for me, but i don't know what to do about it..."

Once again, sit down and have a calm conversation with them. Explain that you know it sounds quirky (calling it *your problem" sometimes softens the blow), but you're just one of those people who doesn't like to be touched or have your "personal space" invaded. Some people just don't understand personal boundaries or limits and must have it explained to them because, well, they just assume that EVERYone likes it just like they do. It'll be your job to educate them.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom