Friendly PSA: It’s 1800 and dark, know where your girls are?

Jakemedic

Crowing
Sep 27, 2023
SE IOWA
Hello! I heard some squawking from the chicken community this evening after dark, so thought I’d have a look. There were 7 of my 12 girls locked out of their house after the door was shut (automatic). They were making some noise! I coddled a few, and shewed a few more and got them all in their house. Now they would have been safe in their run overnight, but were not happy about being locked out. I thought it was sort of funny, they were all ready to sleep in the run. Silly critters! I just have to love them! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 7
My ducks decided for some reason that they were not going to go in their house at their normal time this evening. I had to chase them in after it had gotten quite dark. Wonder what their problem was.🤷‍♀️ I couldn't see any threats, but it does make me concerned!

All my birds are in and accounted for; no problems. I suggest you keep an eye on your birds, as this could become habitual. If they're normally in their coop at night and suddenly are not, I would start checking the coop for predators or external parasites like mites and soft ticks.
My ducks decided for some reason that they were not going to go in their house at their normal time this evening. I had to chase them in after it had gotten quite dark. Wonder what their problem was.🤷‍♀️ I couldn't see any threats, but it does make me concerned!
On the ducks being out, it could be a result of the full moon. The full moon can cause issues not only by it's bright light, but internal issues as well. (For example, internal worms like to reproduce on the full moon.)

Last edited:
All my birds are in and accounted for; no problems. I suggest you keep an eye on your birds, as this could become habitual. If they're normally in their coop at night and suddenly are not, I would start checking the coop for predators or external parasites like mites and soft ticks.

On the ducks being out, it could be a result of the full moon. The full moon can cause issues not only by it's bright light, but internal issues as well. (For example, internal worms like to reproduce on the floor moon.)
Thank you! I did not know that about the worms. I'll have to check them over thoroughly.

On the ducks being out, it could be a result of the full moon. The full moon can cause issues not only by it's bright light, but internal issues as well. (For example, internal worms like to reproduce on the full moon.)
I clean their house regularly, I was thinking they were confused with the length of day and when the door shut. I’ll have a closer look today. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom