Frizzle bantam got moldy feed. Botulism?

Jjdesmo11

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
My sweet nugget didn’t go to the roost tonight and seems uncoordinated. I did have some food get wet and she’s always my little weakling. I have colloidal silver from yrs ago. Does it go bad? Or should I give epson salt? She’s moving around ok for the most part so hopefully I caught it early

Attachments

• 7F706129-E6F0-4C84-B60D-C6DABB8DD431.jpeg
    7F706129-E6F0-4C84-B60D-C6DABB8DD431.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 58
What a cutie.

I lost two birds to possible botulism last month. No moldy feed but they were scratching around in composted bedding eating maggots. That is the only way I can think of that they could have gotten it. So yes, you need to take the possibility seriously.

Since I had less than good luck treating my birds I'm going to tag some folks that may be able to help you out:

@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, @casportpony, @sourland, @ronott1

Anybody able to offer this nice member some advice on her adorable little friend?

What a cutie.

I lost two birds to possible botulism last month. No moldy feed but they were scratching around in composted bedding eating maggots. That is the only way I can think of that they could have gotten into. So yes, you need to take the possibility seriously.

Since I had less than good luck treating my birds I'm going to tag some folks that may be able to help you out:

@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, @casportpony, @sourland, @ronott1

Anybody able to offer this nice member some advice on her adorable little friend?
Thank you @microchick ! I think I caught it early. Put her in a little coop and I only had game bird feed (Just got back from vacation and found wet food and had to dump it all) I hope the extra protein will be ok for a day till I get more feed tomorrow.

Was the feed moldy or ?

Is she pooping? What's that like?

Being unbalanced, could it be that she was not drinking or eating well while you were gone?

If you feel she did ingest moldy feed, then giving a flush or activated charcoal would be worth considering.

She is absolutely adorable!

Was the feed moldy or ?

Is she pooping? What's that like?

Being unbalanced, could it be that she was not drinking or eating well while you were gone?

If you feel she did ingest moldy feed, then giving a flush or activated charcoal would be worth considering.

She is absolutely adorable!
Thank you! Yes definitely moldy. I haven’t seen her poop. But she was resting this morning. What type of flush? Epson salt? I worked 6-6 yesterday and today so I can grab some after work. Is it a pill? She isolated and getting extra tlc. She’s always been a little more wimpy than my others and I gave separated and given Corid a few times. She’s over a yr old. I think it affected her more because she is smaller/ less healthy. I have in the past treated her for mites ( elector psp) and worms ( valbazen) so I have to believe the spoiled food is the culprit. Thanks for rhe help!

There are 3 flushes that I know of, Epsom Salts, Molasses and Acitvated Charcoal.

I think any of the 3 would be effective for cleaning out the system. Molasses and Epsom Salts flushes are used quite often used when treating a stubborn slow crop, both have a laxative effect.
You will want to make sure she's hydrating well after the flush since basically those 2 will cause loose stools, possibly explosive. (just sayin')

For Molasses, I'd use the dose used treat crop issues, which is 1 teaspoon molasses mixed in 1/4 cup warm water. Have the bird drink all of it.

For Epsom Salts, again, I'd use the crop treatment dose of 1/2 teaspoon Epsom Salts to 1/4 cup of water, syringe it into her or have her drink it.

Larger dosing and write ups are in the links below. The extension article is very good, look under Laxative Solutions.

Since she is so small and seems to be doing o.k. I'd only give the flush once, then see how she's doing. Again, hydrate her afterward, get her drinking and eating her normal feed. A bit of egg is always good to give too. Flushes could flush nutrients as well, so I'd consider giving her poultry vitamins for a couple of days too.

https://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

There are 3 flushes that I know of, Epsom Salts, Molasses and Acitvated Charcoal.

I think any of the 3 would be effective for cleaning out the system. Molasses and Epsom Salts flushes are used quite often used when treating a stubborn slow crop, both have a laxative effect.
You will want to make sure she's hydrating well after the flush since basically those 2 will cause loose stools, possibly explosive. (just sayin')

For Molasses, I'd use the dose used treat crop issues, which is 1 teaspoon molasses mixed in 1/4 cup warm water. Have the bird drink all of it.

For Epsom Salts, again, I'd use the crop treatment dose of 1/2 teaspoon Epsom Salts to 1/4 cup of water, syringe it into her or have her drink it.

Larger dosing and write ups are in the links below. The extension article is very good, look under Laxative Solutions.

Since she is so small and seems to be doing o.k. I'd only give the flush once, then see how she's doing. Again, hydrate her afterward, get her drinking and eating her normal feed. A bit of egg is always good to give too. Flushes could flush nutrients as well, so I'd consider giving her poultry vitamins for a couple of days too.

https://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
You are an amazing wealth of knowledge! I have had Chickens for over five years and I feel like I am always learning more things. I am new to this but I’m glad I have read about it and knew what it was keeping a close eye. Thanks again!!

That is just about the cutest chicken I have ever seen. I hope she recovers.

You are an amazing wealth of knowledge! I have had Chickens for over five years and I feel like I am always learning more things. I am new to this but I’m glad I have read about it and knew what it was keeping a close eye. Thanks again!!
I do have to agree with @Aunt Angus I think she's just too Sweet!
You need to submit some photos of her for the BYC Calendar and other photo contests.

Well. I don't know about knowledge, but I do retain a lot and remember where to find info🤣 My brain is getting old, so I do try to remember to make notes too.

Please keep us posted on how she gets along. I'm hoping she will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom