from australia

KLEWIS

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
My 2 day old needs help, was born with a swelling between legs - thought it , it may have been cyst. Made chick walk with a splayed leg , was bad this morning so I poked it and yellow fluid came out. Checked in a few hours and had reformed so poked it again doesn't look good.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your baby. I would defiantly post here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your chick! Hope she is ok!
hugs.gif

Thanks - alass tis too late for that one but sure would like know what it was. I haven't hatched eggs from this hen before so dont know about her breeding. The rooster is an arucana have had success with a australorp and him. This summer has been so so hot and humid here - the humidity in the incubator was up and down from 45-60% don't know what that might have done but only got 1 chick from14 eggs, what failure.

could that have been the yoke sac that is attached to them. It is generally absorbed before birth but, sometimes it takes a day or so longer.

hugs.gif
So sorry about your loss. If you have future problems, please do post photo in emergencies. I am glad you decided to join us.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry for your loss! My first guess would be that the mass/cyst was an unabsorbed yolk sack. It could have been some other deformity, however.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your baby.
hugs.gif
I agree, it sounds like an unabsorbed yolk sac. Sometimes these things heal over after 24+ hours, sometimes not. For the future, make sure your temps are too high during incubation and your humidity is too high during lock down either. Both of these can cause them to no absorb the sac or it becomes infected.

Back
Top Bottom