From one to three!

Dutchess

Songster
11 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Maine ~ 4 chicken years
I came home from work lastnight and started with my usual routine; Check on the hens, fill water containers, check their feeder, feed them a snack (usually scratch) and check for eggs. All five of my hens are about 28-30 weeks old and only one, my red-star (I know it was her because of her comb & waddle size/color) was laying. She started to lay about 2 weeks ago, not everyday, but at least every other day. Lastnight I collected THREE eggs! I was so eggsited!
yippiechickie.gif
"Look what we got today, honey." I said to DH, beaming and smiling from ear to ear. He was very supportive and acted happy that they were finally laying. He has really come a long way in regard to "appreciating" the chickens and even helped me build our new run for them!

One of my hens is a Columbian Rock. I had to do some research to find out what kind of chicken she is. The girl selling the hens said she's a columbian Wyandotte, but her comb is straight. So I figured maybe a light sussex, then I saw the Columbian Rock-that's it!. It was INCREDIBLE how fast her comb and waddles grew! One day, hardly anything, yesterday I noticed her comb is actually laying over her head it's so big! We just couldn't get over it! And we "visit" with them every night making sure they're happy and healthy watching them peck around free ranging (we call it chicken TV, never a dull moment).
I'm 99% sure that one of those three eggs came from her. I have no idea where the other one came from, none of the remaining three are showing any signs. There are two cuckoo marans' and one SLW. If I were to guess, I would have to say the SLW. I have heard cuckoo marans take longer to lay than other breeds. Does anyone know that to be true?
It's so exciting when you check for eggs and actually find some!!!
cool.png

Two were light tan and one was a darker tan, almost brown. It's funny, I thought at first when I found the first egg it was one of the Marans because it was such a dark tan (light brown). No way, they aren't even close to laying. Their combs and waddles are very small and light pink. The darker one came from my first layer, the red-star, 99% sure.
tongue.png
Do red-stars lay dark tan/brown eggs?

They lay meaty brown eggs. They are my most reliable layers. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom