From Trenton, SC but originally from WI. I like to take pictures, garden and love watching my ducks

MonicaMP

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Trenton, SC
We have ducks and chickens. My husband started out with chickens years ago. He has Rhode Island Red and two other breeds. Have to get back to you on what they are called. I just recently started with ducks last year. Hope it is ok to talk about ducks because I have a few questions.

I guess I just reply to myself to ask my question. I have Pekin ducks, Call ducks and Chocolate Indian Runners. Right now they are free to swim on the pond and go where they want to. My husband will be separating the Call Ducks and Indian Runners sometime at the end of January to breed. I was told they won't breed until February but they are breeding now. And the part I am most concerned about is the Call Duck is breeding with the Indian Runners. I hate to even look because I get upset that this is happening. My husband works and by the time he gets home he doesn't have time to work outside. I keep telling him he has got to fix the pen where they all can be separated and have nest. We will probably keep the Peking ducks out only because we don't have enough room and there is only one drake and rest are hens. Sorry to be so long but I just want to know if crossbreeding will cause any problems. Hopefully we can get the Call Ducks and Runners in their own pen.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You can look for more info and post in the Ducks section for a more informed response

Welcome to BYC. Go to the "other Back Yard Poultry" forum and check on the 'duck' section to meet other like minded folks.

Back
Top Bottom