Frost bite

See this guy from roughly three years back. His damage caused by direct wind exposure during day. This type more common than realized even though occurring during warmest part of day.

Necrosis was well underway by that time. Initiall area turned whitish / yellowish while temperature still very low. When temperature warmed area turned black then began to shrivel over the course of about two weeks. All of blackened area then fell off leaving a helmeted look for the following spring.

Currently rooster looks essentially the same almost three years later as little or no regrowth.

How do I fix it?

Open up more airflow in your coop to prevent it from happening even further. It looks pretty minimal right now and I've had my rooster's combs look like that and even slightly worse and was able to bring them back to normal without any dubbing. Try applying castor oil~you can get it cheap at any pharmacy~massage it gently and thoroughly into the whole comb and wattles, a nice and thick coat of it.

Then you'll just have to wait it out to see if it will come back to normal. If you remove the cause~too much humidity in the coop at night~and apply the castor oil to restore good blood flow to the tips, it may go very well for him. My rooster's looked worse than yours a week ago but are restored to full red, healthy skin this week.

Back
Top Bottom