Frostbite/Frozen Foot

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
Last week we had subzero temps come through and we took precautions but one hen somehow got her foot caught in the door. When I found her it was frozen solid (like a rock). She was able to stand on it until a day ago when blisters startered. One popped and the other hasn't yet. I know there's a chance she'll lose her foot but she's a fighter and has been trying to keep moving about still. Unfortunately, I have to go out of town for a couple days and I don't have anyone who can watch her that knows what to do. Is there anything special I should do to keep her foot safe from infection while we're gone? Anything special in general I should do for her?

Attachments

• PhotoRoom-20240119_150118.png
    PhotoRoom-20240119_150118.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
  • 20240120_052624.jpg
    20240120_052624.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240120_194142.jpg
    20240120_194142.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240124_131039.jpg
    20240124_131039.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 18
Please do not pop it, opening it may increase risk of infection.

I found a thread with detailed info from @Allsfairinloveandbugs about a different chicken with frostbite blisters on feet. She recommended:
-keeping chicken in warm, dry, clean place
-baby aspirin: given once daily or 1/2 baby aspirin given twice daily to help with pain
-topical triple antibiotic ointment/vetericyn spray/other topical antibiotic/antimicrobial to help deter infection, especially on the broken blister area

Perhaps she or @Wyorp Rock have more insight about how to help or what to expect, as the shank injury may supersede blister treatment.

Please do not pop it, opening it may increase risk of infection.

I found a thread with detailed info from @Allsfairinloveandbugs about a different chicken with frostbite blisters on feet. She recommended:
-keeping chicken in warm, dry, clean place
-baby aspirin: given once daily or 1/2 baby aspirin given twice daily to help with pain
-topical triple antibiotic ointment/vetericyn spray/other topical antibiotic/antimicrobial to help deter infection, especially on the broken blister area

Perhaps she or @Wyorp Rock have more insight about how to help or what to expect, as the shank injury may supersede blister treatment.
I would never pop it. I know that's painful already for her. I have spray and sprayed especially with one that popped already. I'm worried about being gone for a couple days. She's in house in a warm clean tote. I do have meloxicam I can give her if that'll help. I can't remember the dosage though.

I'm sorry about your hen. The incident where she got her foot caught in the door during extreme cold despite your precautions is exactly what happened to my hen. I.e. despite my precautions, she got caught in a precarious position which led to the loss of both her feet. Unfortunately, I agree with @Wyorp Rock that it looks like your hen's foot has already died and is becoming visibly necrotic where her leg was caught. The red blisters near her toes also signify severe frostbite damage. (Bisters filled with clear fluid would mean the damage wasn't as severe.)

I wouldn't worry about needing to go out of town and leave her alone for a couple of days at this early stage of the frostbite damage. Make sure she isn't exposed to further freezing temperatures (which could lead to further injury), coat the injured leg and foot before you leave with Vetericyn spray, triple antibiotic ointment or other topical antibiotic to protect any viable tissue from potential contamination, leave her enough food and water to last for a couple of days, put a top over the bin so she can't escape while you are gone, and she should be fine.

It looks like you are using puppy pads or similiar bedding. That works well as long as you can keep the bedding clean, but may be better to use shavings during the time you are gone.

I'm sorry about your hen. The incident where she got her foot caught in the door during extreme cold despite your precautions is exactly what happened to my hen. I.e. despite my precautions, she got caught in a precarious position which led to the loss of both her feet. Unfortunately, I agree with @Wyorp Rock that it looks like your hen's foot has already died and is becoming visibly necrotic where her leg was caught. The red blisters near her toes also signify severe frostbite damage. (Bisters filled with clear fluid would mean the damage wasn't as severe.)

I wouldn't worry about needing to go out of town and leave her alone for a couple of days at this early stage of the frostbite damage. Make sure she isn't exposed to further freezing temperatures (which could lead to further injury), coat the injured leg and foot before you leave with Vetericyn spray, triple antibiotic ointment or other topical antibiotic to protect any viable tissue from potential contamination, leave her enough food and water to last for a couple of days, put a top over the bin so she can't escape while you are gone, and she should be fine.

It looks like you are using puppy pads or similiar bedding. That works well as long as you can keep the bedding clean, but may be better to use shavings during the time you are gone.
I just saw this, but I this exactly this. This is what her foot looks like now. Not sure what I should do for her now. She isn't putting any pressure on it for the most part as I know that hurts but she's full of life and actually responds to her name and plays peekaboo with the dogs in the tote she's in. Is it getting infected now? Her other foot has a yellowish tint naturally to it so this makes it hard for me to judge on the other coloring. Her blisters are popping on their own. I am spraying and putting ointment on it. I'm giving her a good foot soak tomorrow. I have been wondering if I need to make her a sling to get the pressure of her body off her foot and keep her feathers off of it (I wrap it when I put ointment on).

Attachments

• 20240202_115148.jpg
    20240202_115148.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240202_115157.jpg
    20240202_115157.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 11
Her foot doesn't look infected to me. As long as you continue to take adequate precautions to keep it clean, dry and topically medicated, I wouldn't worry. Epsom salts soaks will provide soothing pain relief and also help draw out any potential infection. A sling is also a very good idea to get the pressure off her body.

Are you still experiencing freezing temperatures? If not, it would also be a good idea to take her outside on nice days to be near the other flock members. (Sunshine and fresh air will keep her spirits up too.) If you have a wire dog cage to confine her in so she is fully visible to the other chickens, that would be perfect. It's difficult enough to integrate a healthy chicken into an established flock, and since she will be handicapped, she is even more likely to be bullied unless your other hens remember that she belongs. What is her name?🙂

Her foot doesn't look infected to me. As long as you continue to take adequate precautions to keep it clean, dry and topically medicated, I wouldn't worry. Epsom salts soaks will provide soothing pain relief and also help draw out any potential infection. A sling is also a very good idea to get the pressure off her body.

Are you still experiencing freezing temperatures? If not, it would also be a good idea to take her outside on nice days to be near the other flock members. (Sunshine and fresh air will keep her spirits up too.) If you have a wire dog cage to confine her in so she is fully visible to the other chickens, that would be perfect. It's difficult enough to integrate a healthy chicken into an established flock, and since she will be handicapped, she is even more likely to be bullied unless your other hens remember that she belongs. What is her name?🙂
She has been going out on nice days. We made a pen for her next to a rooster that's mean (he's in his own pen for now but he's about to get his own girls soon) and she took herself there when we let herself roam to wherever she wanted. We covered it so hawks couldn't get her while she's out there unsupervised. My kids decided to name her Nubz so it would be fitting once her foot is gone. We have a shed where we can keep her once she's healed. We keep her in the house for now so we can keep a better eye on her and we know the temps are comfortable while she's healing. She's a character. She even plays with the cat (my cat doesn't hurt chickens, chicks, or quail - we taught him birds are friends).

You are doing a great job to help her recover, and it sounds like she is thriving from the care and attention you are providing her. By the time her injury heals, don't be surprised if you have decided to welcome her inside as a semi-permanent house chicken!

Back
Top Bottom