Frostbite on both legs! Help!

my opinion is yes under the circumstances I would do the full seven days. Only because there was bleeding in the last 48 hours at the break away site.

It finally happened: the foot fell off last night. Despite losing a whole appendage, the would site looks good. I went down to clean her tub again because she managed to spill her whole waterer over, leaving her in a puddle for a while :/

I gave her an epsom bath, then blow dried her, gave her shot number 6, then bandaged her up with a good amount of antibiotic ointment.

She seems mentally fine, but he is having a heck of a time adjusting to walking, even worse than before. She's bagging her wings to much that it broke open her wing scab again. She's almost trying to walk backwards.

Her other food is starting to peel on the toes and pad. I don't know if that's a god thing, but it smells unpleasant again. Maybe that was from standing in water for about an hour, plus the bath (the peeling). The swelling on the leg of this leg is actually going down now. It's also turning a bit more pink.

Here are some pictures:

Here she is tonight. Still happy as ever. Really stumbly, though, so she usually decides to lay down when she's eating and drinking. She just got her last shot.

0.jpg

I hope her right leg can heal up. I do actually know of a hen who lost both her feet and learned to walk (though more slowly) and function normally --so if the worst happens, there is for sure hope that your EE can get through it and lead a 'normal' life!

Here she is tonight. Still happy as ever. Really stumbly, though, so she usually decides to lay down when she's eating and drinking. She just got her last shot.

0.jpg

I'm glad she's still hanging in there. She must still have some live tissue in the right foot as she does stand on it. Go back to post #42 and re read the link, especially the last half. It does sound like there is still infection in the foot. You may want to consider a second round of antibiotics like oxytetracyline soluble powder in her water. you would also give that for 7 days. See if you can get your hands on some no tip cat or dog bowls. It is important that she not knock over her water and be wet footed other than her baths.
As far as the wing sore: Debride, cover in triple A and let scab over. As soon as that happens use Alushield, a strong liquid bandage for animals. It should help to keep the wound from reopening. I am hoping so much that she makes it! She looks almost exactly like one of my EE's. If you look at my profile, there is a close up face shot of my bird. (someone has relieved her of her beard) But, anyway, it may be time for the help of a vet or some PM's to the author of the link in post #42. Best wishes....JPB

I just bought a packet of the oxytetracyline from TSC. I will use that and see what happens. Unfortunately, I don't have $100 minimum to spend on chicken vet bills, when I have so many medical bills myself. There is only one chicken vet around here that I can find, and the one time I did take a chicken there for lethargy, she felt the crop (chicken just ate), said it was impacted crop, said to never feed a chicken sunflower seeds and that's why it had an impacted crop, then put a shot of lube in it's crop. Well, she didn't have impacted crop, actually, and she didn't even look into the things I brought her in for. I feel like I know more than her.

Even if I didn't mind the vet, I still don't have the money for it. I will try the things suggested here, and if she fades fast, I will make the tough decision to end her suffering then (hopefully won't get there).

She is such a fighter, and acts like there is nothing wrong with her. I think she will make it through.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom