Frostbite Risk Can Be Impacted by Genetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
My son is learning a painful lesson about his chickens. They are very vulnerable to frostbite. About 3 years ago we got a black Rampuri Aseel stag that he proceeded to cross into one of our American Game lines. We very quickly came to appreciate the black rooster was different from our games. Most of the differences were simply interesting.
img_2020-06-05_19-51-14-jpeg.2179151

When winter came around the differences proved to be very problematic. First, he could not handle worm burden making so we had to watch his weight closely and repeatedly treat with dewormer which caused rapid return to weight each time. Second, when it came to dealing with cold, he was a combination of poorly feathered and stupid. He would not protect his feet. Even during the worst weather did not seek out cover from weather and would not settle in feet to keep them warm. The first major cold event during first winter all of his toes were frozen off making so he walked around on nubs, could not scratch effectively and had to roost on flat surfaces.

Still I let my son get some chicks from hen produced by crossing with free-range Amerrican Game hen. The line she represents, and out other American Games handle the cold very well.
img_2020-06-05_19-54-29-jpeg.2179176

He raised a single stag from the pairing named Trekkor. We were very careful protecting Trekkor from the weather so he avoided frostbite issues. He also had no worm issues which I assume was inherited from his mother. My son wanted his own line of show chickens so he linebred Trekkor to one of his mother's cousins to produce young that where 1/4 aseel and 3/4 American Game.

We have been leaving those out to free-range except for a stag that was penned. The stag and 2 of 3 pullets got frostbite when none of our other 45 or so other chickens had similar issues under identical conditions.

Now my son will be messing with two of those birds to make so they can get buy on some messed up feet. I hope linebreeding one more generation will resolve the issue.

Picture shown of Raven, the pullet with worst case of frostbite. Normally, she would have black shanks and yellow toes. Frostbitten toes are now black. She has difficulty walking, scratching and jumping. She compensates by flying a lot.

The black toes are going to fall off soon. The bent toe is related to being incubator hatched.

For the record, she roosts on a 2 x 4 with broad side up. Will all the debate about keeping toes warm at night roosting on a flat surface, it means nothing when the frostbite more often than not occurs during the day!

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

Oh, thats not too bad. She'll be able to act like a normal bird still
She will have a harder time scratching for eats and roosting, especially when it is windy. The scratching issues really comes into play when she takes her chicks into underbrush looking for food.

This rooster / stag side that has much later start of frost bite and a much more uncertain outcome. His feet are swollen with abscesses / blisters developing. He clearly has trouble walking and lays about much of the time. He has a raging fever as his immune system is ramping up to control infection and process the necrosis. No obvious discoloration yet.

1675349712108.jpeg

1675349768596.jpeg

This rooster / stag side that has much later start of frost bite and a much more uncertain outcome. His feet are swollen with abscesses / blisters developing. He clearly has trouble walking and lays about much of the time. He has a raging fever as his immune system is ramping up to control infection and process the necrosis. No obvious discoloration yet.

View attachment 3393384
View attachment 3393388
Did the feet ever freeze solid? Keep an eye on the blisters, and I would personally start using hydrogen peroxide on them myself. The blisters tend to only develop on the ones that are a lost cause usually in my flock

Did the feet ever freeze solid? Keep an eye on the blisters, and I would personally start using hydrogen peroxide on them myself. The blisters tend to only develop on the ones that are a lost cause usually in my flock
They froze solid. I think he is a lost cause. I’m taking particular care to document so Trueman has a handle on what frost bite really is so he will step up game to prevent more effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom