Frostbite

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I noticed that there's a lot of discussion of frostbite but not many visuals.

This is my 8 week old Black Australorp. Last week the temperature here got down to -7 f, or -23 c. Because the chicks are different ages and sizes I hadn't let them out into the run yet, so their water was still in the coop.

I noticed yesterday that she was lying down a lot and limping when she walked so I brought her in.

The ends of her toes are clearly deteriorating where the black is. The first picture is the top of her foot, and the second is the bottom. The other foot is also frostbit (visible at the bottom of the first picture) but does not appear to be severely damaged.

I have soaked her feet in Epsom salts and sprayed her feet with an antiseptic. The division between good and bad is much clearer this morning.

Attachments

• 20221230_143751.jpg
    20221230_143751.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221230_143745.jpg
    20221230_143745.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 19
The 2nd toe just came off. The middle one is still hanging on.

She flew out of her bin and down to the floor and I noticed her foot was bleeding. I gave her another bath and it came off right after. Then she ate it!

This one is still hanging on by a thread. It just flops around and gets in her way when she walks. I am wondering if I should take it off somehow.
That tickles me that she ate it!🤣

@Allsfairinloveandbugs what do you think? Trim the hanging toe?
If it's really just by a tiny thread of skin, I think I would. Swab it well with Chlorhexidine, then cut the string of skin. Maybe you can grab the toe before she eats that one too!😂

I have to laugh, chickens will snatch up and eat lots of things. I went outside one time and had completely forgotten I had a fairly large scab on my ankle from an injury. I was busy filling the water bowl when I felt pain. Looked down and one hen had ripped off my scab and took off, the others in hot pursuit for a tasty scab tidbit🥴 One discovered I was bleeding and decided that needed a good pecking. Chaos!:lau

I think I will stop posting pictures every day. Maybe once a week? She's picking at her feet and doesn't appear to have any sensation there. But this morning it was obvious that she has muscle control in at least one, as she flexed the foot when she stretched. She still can't balance well on anything narrow, but she keeps trying.

Attachments

• 20230104_101801.jpg
    20230104_101801.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230104_101552.jpg
    20230104_101552.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom