Frostbite???

Being that you are in Australia and in the depths of winter right? I had some frost bite last year on some of my girls combs and yes indeed, they were a bit yellow at the tips. So it is entirely possible. Make sure you have proper ventilation in your coop. Do not be afraid to fling open all windows. As long as the wind is not blowing directly on them, the chickens will be fine.

Chickens put out a TON of moisture each night from breathing and pooping and this moisture has to go some place. If you do not have a vent above their heads and tails, this moisture will condense and fall back down on combs and freeze, even if it is right at freezing at night. So keep the air moving at all times. I have a small coop. But 3 out of 4 windows remain open all year long,including winter even when the temps are sub zero.

Being that you are in Australia and in the depths of winter right? I had some frost bite last year on some of my girls combs and yes indeed, they were a bit yellow at the tips. So it is entirely possible. Make sure you have proper ventilation in your coop. Do not be afraid to fling open all windows. As long as the wind is not blowing directly on them, the chickens will be fine.

Chickens put out a TON of moisture each night from breathing and pooping and this moisture has to go some place. If you do not have a vent above their heads and tails, this moisture will condense and fall back down on combs and freeze, even if it is right at freezing at night. So keep the air moving at all times. I have a small coop. But 3 out of 4 windows remain open all year long,including winter even when the temps are sub zero.
I leave the little chicken door open at all times and they just huddle out of the way of that, I just put in new bedding that absorbs moisture and odour too and during the day I open up every door and pop the roof open to get some air flowing while they're out free ranging

You could try applying some sort of antibiotic ointment like Neosprorin or something similar to the combs. Vaseline will work as well, but it tends to dry and peel and does not work as well.

You could try applying some sort of antibiotic ointment like Neosprorin or something similar to the combs. Vaseline will work as well, but it tends to dry and peel and does not work as well.
I don't know what Neosprorin is.. we may not have it in Australia
I'll put some Vaseline on them when I go out there later today, does it only going on the top comb or does it go on the bottom dangly bits aswell? (Sorry I don't know what they're called.. I just refer to them as the "gobble gobbles" I'm very mature.)

You only need to put it on the comb. Generally the "Wattles", the dangly things, don't get frostbitten as easily. Only put on a light coat and rub in well into the tips to protect the flesh.

Back
Top Bottom