Frothing at the beak

angelikimarie

Songster
6 Years
Nov 5, 2015
Melbourne Fl
I have a hen she’s about 5-6 years old I believe. I noticed she was acting funny yesterday, walking with her head close to her body, and now today she is frothing/foaming at her beak and not eating the scratch I just threw out as a treat. I was hoping for any advice as to what may be wrong or how I could help, I don’t have any antibiotics or anything unfortunately. I do have Amprolium but I don’t think it’s cocci

Attachments

• E23356A3-291F-4953-99D1-077C6FE00791.jpeg
    E23356A3-291F-4953-99D1-077C6FE00791.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 44
I would separate her and withhold food from now until the morning. Check her crop first thing and make sure it’s flat and empty. She may have the beginning of an impacted crop.

ok separating her now to a brooder with heat lamps and not putting any food or water in there. I’m trying to find a vet around here that will see her

I would feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, or full and puffy or hard. Smell her breath for a fowl or sour odor. It sounds like she is either spitting up food from her crop or having mucus from a respiratory problem. Her crop should feel empty innearly morning, and gradually fill up with food during the day. At her age, she is older, and hens that age can suffer from reproductive problems. Sometimes crop problems will be due to that or other issues.

I would feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, or full and puffy or hard. Smell her breath for a fowl or sour odor. It sounds like she is either spitting up food from her crop or having mucus from a respiratory problem. Her crop should feel empty innearly morning, and gradually fill up with food during the day. At her age, she is older, and hens that age can suffer from reproductive problems. Sometimes crop problems will be due to that or other issues.
I’ve withheld food and water today, I felt her crop and it feels empty, she’s still moving her mouth funny like opening it wide, so maybe it’s respiratory infection? She escaped me after I felt her crop I couldn’t get her back in the brooder.

See if she will eat and drink today. You could always try an antibiotic such as tylosin or doxycycline which can help with MG, but doesn’t treat a virus or fungal infection. They may be available online for pigeons from Jedds.

See if she will eat and drink today. You could always try an antibiotic such as tylosin or doxycycline which can help with MG, but doesn’t treat a virus or fungal infection. They may be available online for pigeons from Jedds.
She drank water today but she starts frothing and she didn’t really eat not that I saw.
I have bio-Mycin Coming in the mail should be here tomorrow. it is supposed to be a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Do you think that will work too?

Thank you so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom