Frozen Eggs?

StephC28

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
How do you know if the eggs you collect have been frozen at all?
I collect eggs once a day and never even thought that some may have been frozen at one point.
Can you eat an egg that has been frozen? I usually collect my eggs and leave them on my counter. Should I be refrigerating because they are cold when I collect them?

If the eggs have frozen hard, the shell will crack. I don't eat them after the shell cracks because of the bacteria, etc. that I think will get into the egg from the nest through the cracked shell. If the shell hasn't cracked, you will know because the yolk and white can be a little runnier than normal. Fine for cooking or baking, not so much for fried, over-easy.

We always eat the cracked eggs. Unless you are going to eat it raw or under cooked, which is a risky idea, you are fine The heat from FULLY cooking the eggs will take care of it. Fully cooking your meat and eggs is the best since neither one is devoid of bacteria. Its everywhere.

We always eat the cracked eggs. Unless you are going to eat it raw or under cooked, which is a risky idea, you are fine The heat from FULLY cooking the eggs will take care of it. Fully cooking your meat and eggs is the best since neither one is devoid of bacteria. Its everywhere.
Ha - I know, and I'm generally not squeamish about things. But I don't clean out my nest boxes daily, and when I think about what comes in on the chickens' feet.... Just not for me.

Sometimes if the crack is not real big, it will reseal when the egg thaws out.

If there is no crack, I would not worry at all, if there is a big crack, I use that for baking. If you collect them every day, it will need to be dang cold for them to freeze.

In July when all are laying great guns, I open my extra eggs, gently beat them, and freeze them for the cold dark days of winter.

Mrs K

Sometimes if the crack is not real big, it will reseal when the egg thaws out.

If there is no crack, I would not worry at all, if there is a big crack, I use that for baking. If you collect them every day, it will need to be dang cold for them to freeze.

In July when all are laying great guns, I open my extra eggs, gently beat them, and freeze them for the cold dark days of winter.

Mrs K
I need to do that!

@ Bobbi-j Freezing excess eggs has really worked well for me, I do it two ways. For scrambled eggs, I just mix a bunch together with some salt and freeze. But for baking, I mix 12 of them together, with a little sugar and evenly pour them into a 12 wells of a muffin tin. These I use for baking, and you can pull out just what you need.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom