Frustrated. Just need to vent: coops.

In Florida I would not build a box type coop. Much too hot there. What they need is shade, shelter from rain -- and plenty of breeze. Chickens will tolerate temps well below zero but can die at 100 degrees. It never gets cold enough in Florida to pay any attention to.

If you have a problem with predators, I'd put my money into a rectangle with a top made of welded wire. The people down the street from me have something like this, with nothing for a coop but a piece of plywood laid over part of the top. That's may be a bit much (though not unusual around here) but a three sided shelter is plenty in this climate. My son and DIL built a good size three sided shelter in a day -- maybe 8' X 16'.

Here is a thread with some ideas for this climate:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

I wanna know how hemet denis is able to build such a cool coop for 50 clams!!
smile.png

4- 4'X8'x7/16" osb sheets @ $8 each = $24 2- 2" x 3" x 8' @ $2 each = $4 8- 2" x 2" X 8' @ $2 each = $16 and $6 of hinges and a couple pieces of hardware cloth for the round windows i had and the paint i got from Craigs list for free. There is 4 nests boxes on the one side and 2 roosting bars. Some people put these outside the run and the small ramp/door is always open. There is also a large door on the back. maybe i should try to put some pictures up.
old.gif
frow.gif

Yeah i got a large dog house it used to house 3 dogs from a friend.. I am going to convert it into a hen house for 6-9 birds

I just had my dad and FIL over-engineer a coup... changed what I wanted 5 or 6 times... Got them all irritated from changing and just dumbed down the first drawing that I made.

(my FIL seriously had all the angles worked out that we needed, something incredibly stupid like 34.28 degrees... 33! Bzzzzzzzz!)

You should just talk to anyone who is handy with a hammer. I talked to a contractor buddy, someone who did drywall, an electrician, a self-proclaimed handyman... They all had pretty good ideas for a simple, easy to build coop.

Did you see this one? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/172799/our-hoop-house-chicken-tractor

Very simple. Instead of getting the panels of wire, you can get the same wire in smaller lengths and can build the frame smaller as well. OR... make the same size so that you can be prepared for chicken math :).

I understand what you mean about trying to find info on-line for coops. I recently checked out (from my library) - Chicken Coops for Dummies and it is loaded with helpful information on how to build a coop & run. It also gives several different plans, along with materials and cut lists. Would love to see on BYC a basic coop plan, with material & cut list for all the newbies who want to attempt to build a coop - or those who just happened to bring home chicks from the feed store and are now trying to put together a coop as quickly as possible for the first time.

Yes, yes! We'd love to see a step-by-step plan to build a raised coop like the "Wichita", along with materials list, cuts, and tips-

Did you see this one? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/172799/our-hoop-house-chicken-tractor

Very simple. Instead of getting the panels of wire, you can get the same wire in smaller lengths and can build the frame smaller as well. OR... make the same size so that you can be prepared for chicken math :).

I understand what you mean about trying to find info on-line for coops. I recently checked out (from my library) - Chicken Coops for Dummies and it is loaded with helpful information on how to build a coop & run. It also gives several different plans, along with materials and cut lists. Would love to see on BYC a basic coop plan, with material & cut list for all the newbies who want to attempt to build a coop - or those who just happened to bring home chicks from the feed store and are now trying to put together a coop as quickly as possible for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom