Full height coop, or raised with run extended underneath?

We did both: a raised coop that humans could walk around in. We raised it high enough that the access deck was high enough for a wheelbarrow to get underneath for scooping the used shavings out directly into a wheelbarrow. We lined this up with the access gate so it is very convenient and coop stays dry. The chickens love to hang out under the coop.

I build alot of coops for people and I always like to build them that are high enough for people to walk into them. I build them "Sustainable" which means they have floors in the coop portion, just keep the coop/run filled with yard waste this will create a nice compost that you can clean out every couple of weeks.

Thanks guys, lots to think about - I'm strongly leaning towards having the coop elevated - there is a huge appeal for me in being able to just drive our ranger up to the back of the coop and shove the contents of the coop area into the dump bed to be hauled to wherever it can be put to use best. That advantage for me I think outweighs the having to climb up there and crouch in the coop to add more layers of litter and do spot cleaning... and I can make the roof a little bit higher without adding a lot to my budget, so I'm leaning towards having to duck to get in, but being able to stand in the middle area of the coop easily.

Worth mentioning that our old (original) coop was full height without a floor (we didn't build it), so anything will be an improvement :)

Back
Top Bottom