Fully formed chicks with large air cells not hatching

Thank you so much Viola for your support! I just want to say I've read and re-read your linked articles and got so much help from them since starting this incubation adventure.

I don't have to open the incubator to add water during lockdown, I have 1/4' tubing connected to a closed syringe on the outside. I just pull the plunger on the syringe, pour water in for about 3 syringes full (12 cc syringe so about 40cc water). I can look for a smaller diameter pan to use, but doing that had it pretty consistent during lockdown.

I was so, so proud of myself for not opening the door at all this time, until the unabsorbed yolk started to smell. Four chicks and I hadn't touched that door once, I never knew what an exercise in willpower that would be.

So, I'll....

1.Get a smaller diameter container and practice holding humidity 55-60%

2.Bump temp up slightly

3.Get a second thermometer

4.Do more complete exams of future expired chicks for more information/troubleshooting.

Then I'll check the calender for that magic 3 week interval when I'll be available for hatching, and let you all know
fl.gif

The eventual idea is for this cabinet incubator to be only an incubator, and build a separate hatcher. But, I've got to get some blessed eggs to hatch first!

Well I don't wire- I just use a clamp lamp with heat shield, hand turn still air. small batches so the lid is not open too long.
it is smaller than it looks in this pic. 15w, boxes are 10'' deep x 8'' wide and 9'' long, I cut a slit in box to fit lamp down slot with clamp part outside box.
I foil the bottom make sure lamp doesn't touch box. 15w is not super strong just enough to make it to 101 degrees, then put in skewers above lamp- then wire big enough to cover all don't want chicks slipping through

put in a blankie and chicks go on opposite end from heat it may look like you can fill the whole box but it is best to put eggs on cool end. 6 or so, thermometer on top eggs.

I make a lid to fit over the top of the box. with window. I do not lift lid after eggs are in just the window door, I like the lid to fit tight so that I can raise it higher above eggs to adjust the heat.
I have this window centered on top, I would have the glass on the end where the eggs are in the future, and place the glass so it will not get in the way of turning eggs

So this is it, the box can get chilled in winter so you may have to put it in another box. This is best up until fall I would say.

I played around to get this design, starting with glass aquarium, then styrophom box, then reg box coppier size stronger watts light I have decided the small boxes hold the heat best in room of 70 degrees. and got the numbers of eggs right. 6 was best I hatched out as many as 8 but 6 works best.

Last edited:
Oh, you guys could get me in so, so much trouble
lol.png

Now, where's the pictures for the easy build grow out pens, huh? You gotta have follow-through!

Actually, I'm hoping to sell most of the chicks at brooder age. I will need some more grow out pens for sex linked cockerels, though.

I have done styrofoam before also, but I went with my box because I need smaller egg batch and less heat. card board works well for dry hatch as well.

Hijack away!

I've got a ton of black plastic pond liner, that could work. I'm thinking like they show on tv with clean rooms or the biolabs, something you can reach through a slit or X?

but I've got big ol hands, so I'd need a big hole.

At first I was thinking a flap, but I think maybe a slit with edges that overlap would be better. (Does that even make a little bit of sense? I can see it in my mind, but that's kind of a scary place for other people to wander around in...)

this little brown chick had pipped but it was so hot here was doing nothing. I brought them in to a hatch box so the mom could keep sitting on others. one chick was hatched and fine. this one didn't seem to energetic. I put her on a small hand warmer breathed on her and jiggled her a bit she hatched and was limpish. I feed her protein water. and this morning she is doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom