Funky Foot "pimple/boil" **Picture**

jessicag14

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Wisconsin
2 yr old RIR Hen has what looks like a pimple or boil on her foot. I don't know when it formed because I just noticed it today when she got out of the pen and went for a stroll. Its hard and when you squeeze it, no pus comes out. The orangeish part looks like the head of a pimple. It kind of looks like a pimple where the inside stuff hardened or something. Weird description, but I don't know how else to describe it. It doesn't seem to be bothering her and she digs and walks around just fine.

ANYONE have any ideas on what it is?

Thanks!!

(Yes, I know shes muddy. It rained for 3 days)

you have a classic case of bumblefoot. wash the foot and moisten the "head" of the "boil". remoisten again in about 10 minutes, and again in 10 more minutes. (or leave it wrapped in a warm damp cloth). pour iodine on the area and open it up with a needle or small knife. a pair of tweezers may come in handy to help remove any hardned infection. once it is clean, rinse again with iodine, pack it full of neosporin. put her in a good clean dry place. sometimes a second surgery is needed to clear it up all the way. some general purpose antibiotics may help you along too.

Bumblefoot! It is a staph infection that is usually a result of some kind of puncture or splinter. Soak with Epsom salt and warm water, cut it open and remove the hard puss core out, apply a bunch of plain antibiotic ointment to the hole that will be left and wrap( not tight) keep it clean. Should heal fine.

Also, chicken pus if very hard and usu. yellow looking. You may have to cut around it in a circle to remove the entire core.

Back
Top Bottom