Funny looking egg - is it a sign of a problem?

Bruberi

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
Hi, I recently intergrated by 8 older hens with 10 RIR's (18 weeks old).
No issues except the odd bit of pecking order nastiness.
Now this morning I found this egg in my laying box.
Any ideas as to why or what it portends?

I have never seen an egg like that, but it does look like the shell is not well formed. Are your hens getting enough calcium? Maybe the new ones weren't at their previous home? What is that dark spot? Feces? Blood? Partially formed chick? Seriously strange looking.

Thanks for the feedback - My hens are all now eating commercial laying pellet feed. I scatter crushed eggshells into their run. So not sure about the calcium being an issue. The dark spot looks as if the top of the egg didnt get "shelled" and that dark ring has a short tail almost placenta like. All the other eggs are all normal & I get 6 - 8 a day from my 8 laying hens. This one was just a weird surprise. I had hoped someone had seen something like this before.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - My hens are all now eating commercial laying pellet feed. I scatter crushed eggshells into their run. So not sure about the calcium being an issue. The dark spot looks as if the top of the egg didnt get "shelled" and that dark ring has a short tail almost placenta like. All the other eggs are all normal & I get 6 - 8 a day from my 8 laying hens. This one was just a weird surprise. I had hoped someone had seen something like this before.

Okay - how about a coincidence of a malformed shell with a membranous/very thin 'cap' that imploded, exposing a large meat spot. (Hey, it's a theory.)

Back
Top Bottom