Funny non chicken owner thoughts

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
So, my sister, who's never even thought of owning chickens or anything else in her life, says she's going to now get some, she just bought some land and it has a perfect coop on it and along with the chickens, two dogs. A golden retriever, and a lab...Yeah...think that will go over well? I know there are dogs like these breeds that chicken owners have, and the dogs have done very well, but I'm not sure she knows the extent of the training she will have to do with these dogs...Just make me giggle a bit...

I hear ya should be quiet the sight. I have those two breeds and it took time and patience to get them two to leave my chickens alone.

I was that person once. Bought a farm, didn't even have a coop. 2 weeks later, mu husband bought 100 chickens!

We had 2 German Shepherds, an Akita mix and a Beagle/Rottweiler.

I had to let my Akita know that chickens weren't squeaky toys, after that we were good, and the other dogs never bothered the chickens...

My friend's wolf hybrid, however... is not allowed to visit anymore.
sad.png

Quote:
Oh, bummer! Yikes! Dont blame you there..Her boys I am sure will take good care, but I sure hope they build something enclosed...or wait till the summer to get them when the boys will be around all the time to train the dogs..

I hope it all goes well for her
smile.png
My lab pays our chickens no attention. They belong there and is fine with it. Anything that comes in the yard that he knows doesn't belong, he will go after. He is so used to a rabbit and 3 cats in the house, he knows he can't go after them.

Your sister might surprise you. Chickens have a way of worming themselves into our hearts where we only want the best for them. As for the dogs I have a lab that isnt allowed within 10 feet of my chickens. He has never tried to get at them but I take no chances. He is in another part of the yard with 2 fences blocking him.

I have a black lab. He thinks chicks are HIS babies and if anyone goes in to see them, he has to go supervise. He isn't bothered at all by full grown chicikens. He "helped" raise all of my chickens so he also goes into the coop and run to help with chores. He had to be told at first that he CAN NOT carry the babies or put them in his mouth but he does give them kisses before bedtime
love.gif
It's the cutest thing to watch them all together. He is so gentle with them and human babies, it would shock and amaze people. That has happened before
hugs.gif
I wouldn't trade him for anything.
On the other hand, when he sees the neighbors rabbits, he has to fight the HUGE urge to chase them. Of course, he is a black lab so I expect that of him. But he has learned, don't chase them. It's NOT okay.
Haha he also has an odd interest in the poop as well
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
My Great Dane pup, too! What IS that??!! No kisses for you!

By blue heeler/husky pup eats it too... the unfortunate side effect is a noxious gas he deems fit to expel during any event at any location he's involved with.

*blegh*

Back
Top Bottom