Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Things are so busy here around this time that I accidentally marked Heidi as sitting on her eggs a week later than when she actually started. The great news about this is that from my point of view, goslings have arrived early! These pictures are from yesterday. When I went to bed, there were seven hatched. This morning there are eight, with a beak poking out of a ninth egg. I have a feeling the tenth egg didn't make it. Heidi's done a great job!

1000013617.jpg

1000013564.jpg

Now that Heidi's done the boring part, Dakota is eager to jump in and claim the babies as her own.

I've read that others remove the goslings for a couple of weeks before giving them back to be raised by the gaggle, but unless I experiece catastrophic loss, I'm content leaving them in with their folks. Last year I kept the moms penned with the hatchlings for a week to avoid accidental stampeding by interested parties, and it worked out pretty well. My coop looks like a hospital waiting room - all my other geese are milling around, eager to check out the new arrivals.

1000013609.jpg

Tex the wonder Gander making sure I'm not hurting anyone as I take pictures.

Things are so busy here around this time that I accidentally marked Heidi as sitting on her eggs a week later than when she actually started. The great news about this is that from my point of view, goslings have arrived early! These pictures are from yesterday. When I went to bed, there were seven hatched. This morning there are eight, with a beak poking out of a ninth egg. I have a feeling the tenth egg didn't make it. Heidi's done a great job!

View attachment 3784446

View attachment 3784447
Now that Heidi's done the boring part, Dakota is eager to jump in and claim the babies as her own.

I've read that others remove the goslings for a couple of weeks before giving them back to be raised by the gaggle, but unless I experiece catastrophic loss, I'm content leaving them in with their folks. Last year I kept the moms penned with the hatchlings for a week to avoid accidental stampeding by interested parties, and it worked out pretty well. My coop looks like a hospital waiting room - all my other geese are milling around, eager to check out the new arrivals.

View attachment 3784454
So cute!!!! ♥️♥️♥️ I love how the whole flock wants to keep an eye on the new arrivals.

View attachment 3784446

View attachment 3784447

View attachment 3784454
Excellent!

1000013713.jpg

Found everyone up when I went out for for everyone's water change. The 9th gosling didn't make it, unfortunately.

1000013742.jpg

Sentry duty. The Embdens and Americans have formed a pact to keep the Toulouse away for some reason.

1000013746.jpg

Every now and then security gets lax, and uninvited visitors check things out.

1000013738.jpg

It's tiring work, being a gosling. Thankfully there's always a feather pillow on standby.

these are so cute i love all the stories, we recently got a pair of embden geese (bob the male and marshmallow the female ) unfortunately the girl passed away after a few days and bob was alone. we got him some baby ducks to keep him happy until the new geese we ordered get here. i love how sassy bob is and how he loves his ducks

Sorry Bob lost his companion; but hurray that he likes ducks! My geese have a love-hate relationship with my runner ducks.

I leave my goose eggs on the counter, along with the duck and chicken eggs. The goose eggs are usually all eaten within a couple of weeks, so I don't know how long they could last.

BTW, my favorite omelets are made with a bunch of veggies and ONE goose egg!

Back
Top Bottom