Gallo-gallina?

LadyHawk_2006

Songster
14 Years
May 18, 2008
Warwick, RI
Hi everyone!

I have a penpal in South America who has a chicken that he calls a "gallo-gallina". He only writes me in Spanish, but it sounds like it's a hereditary thing where the rooster has the same plumage as the hens. Is this a breed thing or can it happen in any breed? I tried looking it up online but I couldn't find anything but one picture of one.

Just curious. Thanks!

Stephanie

Sebrights have hen feathering. It's a trait of the breed or how they were bred or however you would say that.
smile.png

Last edited:
I asked him about it and he said it's a gene. It's been a long time since high college genetics class for me, but I think I get at least the basics. So, as he put it:

H is the gene for gallo-gallina
h is the gene for normal plumage

HH - gallo-gallina homocigoto (<----don't know that word, maybe homozygus?), always gallo-gallina

Hh - gallo-gallina heterocigoto (<----don't know that word either, maybe heterozygus?), changes to gallo-gallina after the molt

hh - normal plumage

He also said that it was a very old breed that goes back to Roman times.

Anyone else have any other info?

Last edited:
Sounds like that's the Spanish equivalent of hen feathering. Sebrights are fully hen feathered, Campines are partially hen feathered, there's an Oriental breed that's hen feathered, and a few others too. It's a genetic trait, dominant I believe.

The gene symbol is Hf for Henny feathering

Hf/Hf henny feather shape and color!
Hf/hf+ shape only
hf+/hf+ normal feathers

H is the symbol for the Silky gene
H+/? is normal
h/h is silky

Hi everyone!

I have a penpal in South America who has a chicken that he calls a "gallo-gallina". He only writes me in Spanish, but it sounds like it's a hereditary thing where the rooster has the same plumage as the hens. Is this a breed thing or can it happen in any breed? I tried looking it up online but I couldn't find anything but one picture of one.

Just curious. Thanks!

Stephanie
any bread of chickens which mayook like a rooster but its a female. I have 6 of them.

Back
Top Bottom