Gambel chick with injured leg

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I’ve been raising my four gambel chicks and they’re all just over 2 months and now. Two of them are attached at the hip to me and two are scared to death of me. I just did a check up on all of them yesterday and they were all looking happy and healthy. Poos are normal, all the good stuff. When I went in this morning to give them some fresh water and food, I noticed the two that are scared were running away terrified as always, but one of them had its leg stuck out. It was still hopping around and flying, but it couldn’t get its leg underneath it. I finally caught it and got it separated to get a better look and it seems like it’s upper leg is swollen. I have no idea what could have caused this. Those two have never been violent with each other and they’re both still four months away from sexual maturity so I don’t think that’s the case, especially since no feathers are missing. They’re kept in a large plastic tote with a paper towel lining, just like the two who are friendly are kept, and they’re doing perfectly fine. The one it is kept with is doing a-ok as well.

Is it a sprain, is it broken? Is this something that will just heal or is gonna need to be taken to a vet? Most likely if it needs to go to a vet, I’m going to cull as it’s not really a pet that I can justify some ridiculous vet bill on at the moment. I want it to live, but if taking it to the vet is the only way, then I just don’t think I can

I’ve attached some pictures below. It’s currently being kept in its own tote with a towel loosely draped over it so it can still get air but not fly out
IMG_3921.jpeg
IMG_3922.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg
IMG_3924.jpeg

I am not sure what that is, but it could be a dislocated hip or a torn tendon in the leg. It looks like an unnatural angle. Since the upper leg seems swollen, that sounds more like an injury. Mareks can look like that in slightly older chickens. Here is some reading about an older bird with a possible dislocation, where one of the posters is a retired vet:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-fix-a-dislocated-hip-on-my-hen.1447922/

Back
Top Bottom