Gambel quail hatch rate and settings for incubator

Apr 9, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience with hatching shipped gambels quail eggs? I have recently ordered 30 that are going to arrive at the end April to beginning of may. I have heard that some don't have good hatch rates with gambels quail but others said they have. If anyone could share their experince with me (hatch rates, incubator settings, survival rate etc...)it would be very much appreciated. Thank you and Happy Easter!

It depends on the health of the breeding stock, as well as shipping. I've had fairly good hatch rates from shipped eggs and also have had 0 hatch from shipped eggs, it's just really a gamble...no pun intended!
I
have 5 different incubators, 2 DIY GQF knockoffs, 1 GQF 1200 series, Harris Farms Nutrue Rite 360, Farm Innovators 2450 Pro
Plus several DIY hatcher/incubators.

A realistic hatch rate from 30 eggs can be expected to be around 12 to 15 or 50%....if it's better than that you had your incubator set up right and you had fertile eggs and shipping wasn't too hard on the eggs.

I set my incubators up a week or 2 before I start hatching any eggs, make sure everything is working properly and is holding temps. Calibrate thermometers and hygrometers before hatching. I incubate at 100°F and 43% humidity for my quail and pheasants. If incubating Coturnix eggs, lower the humidity to around 30% during incubation.
On day 21 to 22, I raise the humidity to 55 -60% for hatching. Sometimes I wait until I see a pip before I raise the humidity.
As far as 'survival rate', that will depend on you and your brooding setup.

It depends on the health of the breeding stock, as well as shipping. I've had fairly good hatch rates from shipped eggs and also have had 0 hatch from shipped eggs, it's just really a gamble...no pun intended!
I
have 5 different incubators, 2 DIY GQF knockoffs, 1 GQF 1200 series, Harris Farms Nutrue Rite 360, Farm Innovators 2450 Pro
Plus several DIY hatcher/incubators.

A realistic hatch rate from 30 eggs can be expected to be around 12 to 15 or 50%....if it's better than that you had your incubator set up right and you had fertile eggs and shipping wasn't too hard on the eggs.

I set my incubators up a week or 2 before I start hatching any eggs, make sure everything is working properly and is holding temps. Calibrate thermometers and hygrometers before hatching. I incubate at 100°F and 43% humidity for my quail and pheasants. If incubating Coturnix eggs, lower the humidity to around 30% during incubation.
On day 21 to 22, I raise the humidity to 55 -60% for hatching. Sometimes I wait until I see a pip before I raise the humidity.
As far as 'survival rate', that will depend on you and your brooding setup.
Thank you so much!

I did it and didn't find them easy to incubate. I live N.FL and regulating humidity is nearly impossible to keep a steady state. I had to be with incubator constantly. I had 8 eggs shipped from NY to FL and 4 made it. One was stuck in the eggs all squooshed up for about 2 full days, so I had to get him out. Now he is a very tame bird for a Gamble.
I just posed fun videos of him and picture. More so as a proof of his tameness.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.png
    IMG_0617.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 18
I did it and didn't find them easy to incubate. I live N.FL and regulating humidity is nearly impossible to keep a steady state. I had to be with incubator constantly. I had 8 eggs shipped from NY to FL and 4 made it. One was stuck in the eggs all squooshed up for about 2 full days, so I had to get him out. Now he is a very tame bird for a Gamble.
I just posed fun videos of him and picture. More so as a proof of his tameness.
Hi! I just finished wrapping up the hatching. If you want to view the whole hatch a long here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quail-hatch-follow-along.1574512/

Back
Top Bottom