Game Birds in NC, Permits required?!

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I was reading on a site somewhere (sorry short attention span) to check local ordinances to see if it was legal to raise gamebirds.

I'm looking at getting some bobwhite quail, some ringnecks, and not sure whatelse next spring and was wondering if anyone knew what the NC ordinances are. I live out in Gaston County, not in the city.

?????? Anyone?

As far as game birds and permits, etc, maybe the NC Wildlife Commission would be a starting place? Here's a link to their page for other licenses. A game bird license is on there, but it's not clear from looking at the website exactly when you would need to have a license (ie, just to own some, breed or release, etc)

Anyway, I'd think calling them first would be a place to start. Let us know what you find out!

http://216.27.49.98/fs_index_01_license.htm

Once you know what permits are required by the state for what you are wanting to have/do, then I'd call the gaston Cty zoning and make sure you will be OK with the zoning you have.

Hope this helps!
Susan

Looks like to raise game birds, you do have to have that license. This is from the general statues of NC...

This falls under the wildlife commission unless you want to raise for food, which falls under the agriculture commission.

Looks like the Wildlife folks are the place to start...

Hope this helps!

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_113/gs_113-273.html

(h) Game Bird Propagation License. – No person may propagate game birds in captivity or possess game birds for propagation without first procuring a license under this subsection. The Wildlife Resources Commission may by rule prescribe the activities to be covered by the propagation license, which species of game birds may be propagated, and the manner of keeping and raising the birds, in accordance with the overall objectives of conservation of wildlife resources. Except as limited by this subsection, propagated game birds may be raised and sold for purposes of propagation, stocking, food, or taking in connection with dog training as authorized in G.S. 113‑291.1(d). Migratory game bird operations authorized under this subsection must also comply with any applicable provisions of federal law and rules. The Wildlife Resources Commission may impose requirements as to shipping, marking packages, banding, tagging, or wrapping the propagated birds and other restrictions designed to reduce the change of illicit game birds being disposed of under the cover of licensed operations. The Wildlife Resources Commission may make a reasonable charge for any bands, tags, or wrappers furnished propagators. The game bird propagation license is issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission upon payment of a fee of five dollars ($5.00). It authorizes a person or individual to propagate and sell game birds designated in the license, in accordance with the rules of the Wildlife Resources Commission, except:

(1) Wild turkey and ruffed grouse may not be sold for food.

(2) Production and sale of pen‑raised quail for food purposes is under the exclusive control of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The Wildlife Resources Commission, however, may regulate the possession, propagation, and transportation of live pen‑raised quail.

Wild turkey acquired or raised under a game bird propagation license shall be confined in a cage or pen approved by the Wildlife Resources Commission and no such wild turkey shall be released for any purpose or allowed to range free. It is a Class 3 misdemeanor to sell wild turkey or ruffed grouse for food purposes, to sell quail other than lawfully acquired pen‑raised quail for food purposes, or to release or allow wild turkey to range free.

Back
Top Bottom