Gamebird feed 30 s mething %?

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I have ran into a few people now, one who raises show chickens & runs a feed store, that all he feeds his chicks and chickens is a 30% gamebird feed...thoughts?

I don't know yet...we ordered a varied rainbow pullet asst. It does seem high..but the more I call around, the more common it seems to be.

30% protein is too high of protein for chickens and a wast of money just because they don't need that much protein.
Most anything over 22% protein is just passed out of older birds (over a year old).

Last edited:
I have fed it to a chicken (rooster) that was accidentally hatched with turkeys and he was fine. He is the BIGGEST chicken in the chicken yard and he is beautiful. I get a lot of customers that want to buy him when they see him because he is so big. His names are Foghorn Leghorn or Colonel Sanders. Someone offered me $50.00 for him one day but I refused. He reminds me of a 6th grader who is about 7 feet tall. Tall and clumsy.

30% protein is a little high in protein because chickens don't need that much protein. The more protein the more expensive. I pay $20.00 per 50lb bag for Gamebird 30% protein feed for my turkeys. I would never feed my entire (chicken) flock 30% protein because it's too expensive and not needed.

Quote:
This is what I am wondering..what you say about your rooster..this is what I have heard from a few different chicken breeders here now. . Evidently their bodies ARE using it..so if we decide to eat some of the birds...will they be bigger birds? I am hearing from people that are using it, yes..they do get bigger... Thing is, it is only $2 more per 50lb bag for the 30%..

Keep the knowledge coming..and thank you!

Quote:
This is what I am wondering..what you say about your rooster..this is what I have heard from a few different chicken breeders here now. . Evidently their bodies ARE using it..so if we decide to eat some of the birds...will they be bigger birds? I am hearing from people that are using it, yes..they do get bigger... Thing is, it is only $2 more per 50lb bag for the 30%..

If you want big chickens, you will DEFINITELY get big chickens. Doesn't sound like the feed is too expensive. I honestly don't think that anything will happen to them other than a lot of meat. He has no problems with the extra weight. He is just as fast and stronger than any chicken in the chicken yard. A turkey tried to test him and pick a fight with him and my big boy won.

This is a pic of him below. It's not a good pic. Kinda blurry. When I took this pic months ago, he was less than 1 year old. He just turned a year this month. If he were human, I would say that he could wear a size 15 shoe. He has big ole feet.
gig.gif

6612_chicken_on_turkey_feed.jpg

I mixed the 2 together and I offer both the game bird and chick starter love it my girls are big and great. fully feathered and weigh over 3lbs at 4 1/2 weeks

Quote:

If you want big chickens, you will DEFINITELY get big chickens. Doesn't sound like the feed is too expensive. I honestly don't think that anything will happen to them other than a lot of meat. He has no problems with the extra weight. He is just as fast and stronger than any chicken in the chicken yard. A turkey tried to test him and pick a fight with him and my big boy won.

This is a pic of him below. It's not a good pic. Kinda blurry. When I took this pic months ago, he was less than 1 year old. He just turned a year this month. If he were human, I would say that he could wear a size 15 shoe. He has big ole feet.
gig.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_chicken_on_turkey_feed.jpg

THANK YOU! I hear people say the hens they decide to cull aren't great meat birds..well, maybe this is why they do the game feed? I mean if it was twice as much in cost..no..but it is only like $2 more..

kera! :

I mixed the 2 together and I offer both the game bird and chick starter love it my girls are big and great. fully feathered and weigh over 3lbs at 4 1/2 weeks

That is exactly what I thought about doing​

Back
Top Bottom