gamefowl

BirchHatchery

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
indiana
i got a Grady Feild Hatch 1 year old cockbird who is mean as get out one heck of a man fighter i got to pick him up when hes on the tie cord he starts spurring and pecking me and boy when he pecks he grabs and twists then spurs he one fast gamecock then when i do obtain to pick him up i pet him in talk to to em he will peck at my hands for a bit then will stop any ideas to help me stop this?

I've only ever kept one man fighter and I recently put him out. He attacked my four year old nephew and I just so happened to be right there.

Personally I wouldn't keep him, the only reason I kept Effer was because he was the last son of my 13 year old roo and I wanted to get a few from him. I did, he's finally gone, I'd get rid of that bird.

As long as he is not aggressively attacking or flying at you from the ground, I would continue picking him up and handling him. It is fear aggression, not territorial. Eventually he will tame down but I would think twice about breeding him.

start feeding him from your hand , go walk up to the edge of of where he can reach on his cord , then sit down and put your hand out with feed in it , if he doesnt come to you then drop about 2 or 3 pieces of feed on the ground and not any more do the same the next day , do the same thing everyday till he come and eats from your hand with no problem , only drop a few just to let him know you are the one controling his feed ,it will only take a few days for him to figure out he better be nice to you or he will go hungry, after he eats from your hand do that for a few days and he should start gettin used to you

I have had some fearful gamefowl take a corn kernel from my hand while hitting me hard on the hand all in one go. These were not man fighters. They wanted the corn but figured they would hit me before I hit them. They could not quite grasp the concept of a gift and probably thought they were stealing the corn from me. I never had problems with birds that I raised myself.

i can walk all around him and he wont attack me its jus when i go to pick him up but i when i pick him up and sit on the barrel with em he will calm down after a few trys to peck my hand then he will close his eyes an coo im hoping that if i can work with em before and after work every day he will calm down and i will start trien to feed him from my hand tommaro mourning thank yall

then today i went to move my other hatch cock and he has never done this spured my boot and broke off one of his spurs now its jus hangin their but the bleeding stoped 3 weeks ago i had a red fox gray cock get off the tie cord and fought with my roundhead needless to say when i got home both brids were dead im not havin good luck

Last edited:
well if he is only a year he's probably goin through his molt...do NOT jeff with a young rooster in its molt...that means no touchy touchy...he may not look like he is goin through his molt but he is...its a slow process...as soon as this process is over you got urself a stag...then he shouldn't be so hard to handle
go here...i have this book at home but you can read it online...all you need to know is in this book partner http://books.google.com/books?id=8k...&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:
here he is and thank you he dont look like he goin threw a molt
43892_new_roosters_6-5-10_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom